Post by Al Wa » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble loading the ALSA sound driver to use my Ensoniq
AudioPCI with RedHat5.1.  The driver installs okay, but when I try to
load the module with modprobe, it tells me it "can't locate module
snd-audiopci".  I know snd-sudiopci.o has been copied to my
/lib/modules/2.0x/ directory, but sure enough, when I try 'modprobe -l',
snd-audiopci.o is not listed.  I don't have much experience with loadable
modules, so I'd appreciate any help I can get: what do I need to get
modprobe to find this driver?

Thanks,
Al

al wang
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~alwang/

"What's My Solution?"
"Noise Pollution!"

Post by Brion Vibbe » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi all,

> I'm having some trouble loading the ALSA sound driver to use my Ensoniq
> AudioPCI with RedHat5.1.  The driver installs okay, but when I try to
> load the module with modprobe, it tells me it "can't locate module
> snd-audiopci".  I know snd-sudiopci.o has been copied to my
> /lib/modules/2.0x/ directory, but sure enough, when I try 'modprobe -l',
> snd-audiopci.o is not listed.  I don't have much experience with loadable
> modules, so I'd appreciate any help I can get: what do I need to get
> modprobe to find this driver?

Did you run 'make install'? This should copy _all_ the ALSA modules into
the proper directory and run 'depmod -a', also try doing so manually.

Post by Al Wa » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: Did you run 'make install'? This should copy _all_ the ALSA modules into
: the proper directory and run 'depmod -a', also try doing so manually.

Yep, I ran 'make install', and all the alsa moduels are in
/lib/modules/2.0x/.  Problem, is 'modprobe -l' doesn't turn up any of
them.  I tried running depmod -a as well.  Hmmm.

al wang
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~alwang/

"What's My Solution?"
"Noise Pollution!"

Post by Dave Helt » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

says...

> : Did you run 'make install'? This should copy _all_ the ALSA modules into
> : the proper directory and run 'depmod -a', also try doing so manually.

> Yep, I ran 'make install', and all the alsa moduels are in
> /lib/modules/2.0x/.  Problem, is 'modprobe -l' doesn't turn up any of
> them.  I tried running depmod -a as well.  Hmmm.

You may need an alias or two in the /etc/conf.modules to
convice the kernel it needs the alsa drivers and not the native sb stuff.
-gl

> --
> al wang
> http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~alwang/

> "What's My Solution?"
> "Noise Pollution!"

1. How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

Another newbies question...

I am using SuSE 6.2 and have got ALSA 0.4.1h installed. At the moment, I have
to run the following command to activate the sound:

/sbin/modprobe snd-card-cs4232 snd_port=0x534 snd_cport=0x90 snd_mpu_port=0x330
snd_fm_port=0x388 snd_irq=5 snd_dma1=0 snd_dma1_size=8 snd_dma2=1
snd_dma2_size=8

I would like to have this automated at startup. I have been playing with the
post-install at /etc/.conf.modules file but could not get it working anyhow.
Can somebody help?

Here is a portion from the /etc/conf.modules file:

alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs4232
options snd-card-cs4232 snd_index=1 snd_id="cs4232"
alias char-major-14 cs4232
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm1-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm1-oss
options cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9
options opl3 io=0x388
post-install snd-card-cs4232 modprobe "-k" opl3

Many thanks.
Roy

2. question about FTP

3. Hard disk space expansion for RH Linux ???

4. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

5. Q: Does Apache having problems handling to many log files?

6. modules not automatically loaded + only have sound for WAV file (sound problem)

7. supress newlines

8. Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

9. Sound modules get loaded, but no sound card in the system

10. ALSA: help loading emu10k1 module

11. ALSA drivers and loading modules

12. intermittent alsa module loading problem