xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6' error msg.

xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6' error msg.

Post by Mark Warringt » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm a bit new to the Linux game so excuse me if I'm making a stupid
error here. I have installed Linux Slakware (Kernel version 2.0) onto
my machine, and have installed the X disk series.

After installing the disks, I ran xf86config and answered all the
questions and then created the config file. When I run startx or xinit
though, I get the error :

xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

I can see I have libXt.so.6 in /usr/X11R6/lib (it appears to be a
symbolic link to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0), and /usr/X11R6/lib is
in my PATH in /etc/profile, so I cannot understand what is happening.

Can any of you more experienced Linux/X-windows folks help out here?
Please E-mail me if possible because I may miss replies directly to

graphics!!!

Thanks for your time,

Mark.

Post by Bengt Oehm » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

Sounds like xinit is in ELF format, and libXt.so.6 is a.out
or the other way around. Make sure the X files (no pun intended...)
are all a.out or all ELF. 'ldconfig -p' will show the format
of your shared libraries. 'file `which xinit`' will tell you
the format of the xinit program.

/Bengt

--

Post by Marc Kilia » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm a bit new to the Linux game so excuse me if I'm making a stupid
> error here. I have installed Linux Slakware (Kernel version 2.0) onto
> my machine, and have installed the X disk series.

> After installing the disks, I ran xf86config and answered all the
> questions and then created the config file. When I run startx or xinit
> though, I get the error :

> xinit : can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

> I can see I have libXt.so.6 in /usr/X11R6/lib (it appears to be a
> symbolic link to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0), and /usr/X11R6/lib is
> in my PATH in /etc/profile, so I cannot understand what is happening.

> Can any of you more experienced Linux/X-windows folks help out here?
> Please E-mail me if possible because I may miss replies directly to

> graphics!!!

> Thanks for your time,

> Mark.

I have the same problem with the libXmu library. In fact, the problem
appears to be the ldconfig program that tells me the following when
it runs:

ldconfig: warning: can't unlink /usr/X11R6/lib (Operation not permitted)

I am logged in as 'root'.

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Marc

1. StarOffice Error: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

Help, I have installed Star Office 4 for Linux some time ago and it was
just working the other day. Now today a try to start Star Office and I
get this
message:

/usr/local/StarOffice40/bin/soffice.bin: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

How do I fix this problem? Could I have installed something that would
mess this up? I re-installed the XFree libraries which contain this
offending
libXt.so.6 file, but this does not fix the problem.

BTW: I am running RH 5.1.

Thanks

--
-David Lovelace

2. *.domain.com ?!?

3. help: "emacs:can't load library 'libXt.so.6'" . . .

4. PPP... sometimes yes, sometimes no.

5. Can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

6. FS: WatchGuard Firebox-100

7. Q: can't load library 'libXt.so.6'

8. ignore this

9. Error : can't find library 'libXt.so.3'

10. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6' ???

11. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'

12. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6' ???

13. xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'