Setup Problem: Desktop Size

Post by sanja.. » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed RedHat Linux on my machine but found that when
I start X windows, my monitor only displays a fraction of the full
desktop. If I move my mouse to the edge of the screen then I am able to
scroll in all directions and see the rest of the desktop.

I realise that I have to change something in XF86Config but haven't had
any success. Can anyone tell me the cause of the problem.

thanks
sanjay

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Setup Problem: Desktop Size

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I recently installed RedHat Linux on my machine but found that when
> I start X windows, my monitor only displays a fraction of the full
> desktop. If I move my mouse to the edge of the screen then I am able to
> scroll in all directions and see the rest of the desktop.

> I realise that I have to change something in XF86Config but haven't had
> any success. Can anyone tell me the cause of the problem.

> thanks
> sanjay

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I'm not sure the following is completely correct, but let me
give it a try.  (It's good training.)

In your /etc/X11/XF86config file, there should be a section
called Screen.   Here for example is mine

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
Mach64
# I128, and S3V)
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "My Video Card"
    Monitor     "MAG DX1795"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     1024 768
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Note that there is one Mode, but you may have a list.  If
you don't have a Virtual entry, put one in to match the one
for the resolution you are using.
You may in fact have several Screen sections.  The one that
is relevant is the one for the actual X server you are using.
You can determine this by doing
ls -l X
in /etc/X11.   Or of course you can put a Virtual entry in
for each Screen section that has a Mode of the correct resolution.

Setup Problem: Desktop Size

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I recently installed RedHat Linux on my machine but found that when
> I start X windows, my monitor only displays a fraction of the full
> desktop. If I move my mouse to the edge of the screen then I am able to
> scroll in all directions and see the rest of the desktop.

Yep, check your XF86Config.  There should be something like:
Section "Screen"
  Driver        "Accel"
  Device        "Primary-Card"
  Monitor       "Primary-Monitor"
  DefaultColorDepth     32
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       32
    Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
  EndSubSection
And by default, the largest Mode resolution specified becomes the size
of your desktop.  If you run at 16 bit color depth, 800x600 normally,
but the 16 bit color depth line also has a Mode of 1024x768 enabled, you
will get a 1024x768 "virtual desktop."  Also, if you run at 800x600,
make sure that there isn't a "Virtual" line in the XF86Config specifying
a higher resolution.

This virtual desktop thing was originally intended as a feature, yet
almost everyone thinks it's a really annoying bug.  There's a lesson
here somewhere :-)

--MG

1. X windows size and desktop size

How do I fix my desktop size at 600x800 and my screensize at the same
size??
I hate this floating screen stuff, Please help..

I got the ctrl-alt-+ thing to set the resolution but then I still have
the screensize floating I want it all the same size
Thanks..

2. AIX San Conference

3. Screen resolution and desktop size problem

4. MkLinux: Change Drives After Installation?

5. Desktop size problems...

6. NCSA httpd IO buffers

7. desktop size problem

8. Diamond Fire GL 1000 pro (8MB) PCI

9. X Setup - Screen Size problem

10. Desktop Size Exceeds Monitor

11. Gnome/GMC Desktop Icon Size

12. how to change the desktop size?

13. How do I change the desktop size on the fly under KDE