ALSA driver produces high frequency sound after playing

ALSA driver produces high frequency sound after playing

Post by Tobias Dyckerhof » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:57:55

Hi there,

I use Kernel 2.4.3 with an alsa-driver 0.5.9d,
alsa-lib 0.5.9 and alsa-utils 0.5.9b.
The soundcard I use is an FM801.

The sound playing works without any problems. But
if i stop playing the sound, i hear a shrill high
frequency sound which does not stop as long as i
start playing sound again.

Can so help me?

thanx
Tobias

ALSA driver produces high frequency sound after playing

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:05:20

Quote:

> I use Kernel 2.4.3 with an alsa-driver 0.5.9d,
> alsa-lib 0.5.9 and alsa-utils 0.5.9b.
> The soundcard I use is an FM801.

> The sound playing works without any problems. But
> if i stop playing the sound, i hear a shrill high
> frequency sound which does not stop as long as i
> start playing sound again.

Not familiar with that soundcard, but the first thing to check is mixer
settings, especially for microphone if you have one (feedback).

ALSA driver produces high frequency sound after playing

Post by Tobias Dyckerhof » Sat, 14 Apr 2001 05:01:14

Hi

...and thank you for your help first.

here is the response of the amixer command:

-----------------------------------

Group 'Input Gain',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 15
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 20 [65%] [on] [---]
  Front-Right: 20 [65%] [on] [---]
Group 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Video',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'CD',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Line',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'MIC',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [capture]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [capture]
Group 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: volume mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 15
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 20 [65%] [on] [---]
  Front-Right: 20 [65%] [on] [---]

it is everything muted but the PCM and the
Master channels...

so i do not think it is the mixer setting.

thank you
Tobias

1. ALSA + mmap or OSS emulation + mmap producing stutering sound

Kernel versions 2.5.61-64 (Havnt tried 60) produce stuttering sound when
using alsa and mmap (xmms alsa output plugin) or oss emu and mmap (quake3?)
produce stuttering sound happening after around the first half second of
playing. This is with the kernels alsa cs46xx module and a Turtle beach
Santa Cruz soundcard. Works fine with 2.5.59 though.

2. X Windows and low resolution problem(jet another...)

3. azt2320 sound card and alsa sound drivers

4. large file support

5. Sound Card Help: ALSA driver, ESSOLO 1938 PCI Sound Card

6. Help: cannot configure kxicq

7. Using alsa-sound drivers with the Trident 4d Wave sound cards

8. I need help killing zombie!

9. 2.5.50 / ALSA: sound cutouts when playing from hd

10. Frequency control in the sound driver

11. SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

12. Troubles with ALSA Sound Card drivers for ES1868 / ES1688

13. Problem on Linux 2.4.0 kernel and ALSA sound driver.