RPM-database & non-rpm packages

Post by -XoF » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi folks,

another question about a probably frequently discussed prob:
Ive upgraded to kernel 2.4.0test10.
Therefor I had to upgrade some packages:
e2fsprogs
modutils

These upgrades were available only as *.tgz, not as *.rpm.
So I did an uninstall of the old (rpm) versions and installed the upgrades.
Now Ive got the prob, that my rpm-database thinks, that these two packages are
not installed which leeds to the prob that I am not able to install some other
packages via rpm -U <packagename> due to failed dependencies.

Is there any possibility to force rpm to install these packages anyway or
better, to "repair" my rpm-database?

Any suggestions or pointings to related docs are greatly appreciated!

TIA
-XoF-

RPM-database & non-rpm packages

Post by Matthew Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:26:08 +0100,

>Hi folks,

>another question about a probably frequently discussed prob:
>Ive upgraded to kernel 2.4.0test10.
>Therefor I had to upgrade some packages:
>e2fsprogs
>modutils

>These upgrades were available only as *.tgz, not as *.rpm.
>So I did an uninstall of the old (rpm) versions and installed the upgrades.
>Now Ive got the prob, that my rpm-database thinks, that these two packages are
>not installed which leeds to the prob that I am not able to install some other
>packages via rpm -U <packagename> due to failed dependencies.

If you're sure you have the required files installed you can do:
  rpm -Uvh <package> --nodeps

+  4:00am  up 1 day,  4:21,  3 users,  load average: 0.73, 0.55, 0.56 +

1. non-RPM packages to RPM

I need some help to use RPM's.

I usually like getting the latest versions of packages such as XFree86, zsh,
etc but these are of course in tgz source format.  What I want to do is
this:

I know how to downloaded, compile it, and install it as a tgz.
But, I would like to make it an RPM so that my old version get deleted and
the new version gets installed.  I'm sure this is very easy but the RPM docs
don't say much about this (at least from what I saw). Thanks

Andy

2. Telnet, performance with SCO OS5 vs Linux

3. RPM Crashes with "//var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm not found"

4. f77 for solaris - where?

5. RPM: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

6. ip config

7. Problem with Gnome RPM - Failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

8. LINUX crashed and I can't get it back up

9. Replacing RPM-placed files w/non-RPM files

10. Non-rpm sparclinux packages needed

11. Recovering the /var/lib/rpm RPM database?

12. Incorporating RPM into RPM "database (depot?)"

13. rpm upgraded - kpackage won't read packages.rpm