Sounds work in root, but not in user

Post by John Holde » Tue, 06 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm pretty much a newbie and I'm having problems getting system sounds
to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but nowhere
else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by entering
chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for kaudioserver,
kwmsound, etc. (as well as editing fstab, putting in user, noauto, 0 0
etc. with these files/devices) but have not had success.  Have also
issued numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the
files/devices I thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd,
sndstat, etc.)

System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on
CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

Appreciate any help you can give me!

John Holder

Sounds work in root, but not in user

Post by Andrew N. McGuir » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

+ Hello,
+
+ I'm pretty much a newbie and I'm having problems getting system sounds
+ to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but nowhere
+ else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by entering
+ chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for kaudioserver,
+ kwmsound, etc. (as well as editing fstab, putting in user, noauto, 0 0
+ etc. with these files/devices) but have not had success.  Have also
+ issued numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the
+ files/devices I thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd,
+ sndstat, etc.)

[ snip ]

You missed a few, try /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer as well.

Regards,

anm
--
| Andrew N. McGuire                                      |