Comments on Quake for Linux

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Tim D. Gilm » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00



I finally got it working with sound.  I had to get the latest Linux
kernel (1.3.68) and enable support for my soundblaster16 and add the
extra driver (the tasd one they mentioned in the documentation).  The
sound is very LOUD though.  In windows95 there is a control to adjust my
volume, but I suppose that's too much to ask for linux.  I have no idea
how to turn the sound down in Linux, even by commandline.  The speaker's
amplifier is OFF.  It's all power coming from the SB16 itself.

It appears to be 320x200 and you can't change that.  It looks good though.
Real sharp.  Maybe because I have x in 640x480 mode and the xquake window
is small enough that it looks sharp.  It's different than playing it in
DOS 320x200 and just shrinking the screen to that size.  It just looks
different and sharper in Linux.  I like it.

It seems quicker than DOS, although I don't know if that's all in my
head becuase of a bias towards Linux.  Even when the turtle comes on the
screen (I have a Cyrix 5x86, which is like topoftheline486/Pentium75
performance in real world game playing), it still "feels" faster in
Linux, like he isn't running as slowly as he does in dos.  Don't know
why.

I can't strafe.  When I press <alt>-<arrow> xquake crashes.  This seems
to be a conflict with FVWM and FVWM wins.  Resizing, or even moving,
the window can cause xquake to crash and burn.

PGUP works, but DEL doesn't (so I can't look down).

I tried loading one instance of xquake with "-listen 2" and the other
with "+connect" but the latter could not find a server.  I have both
tcp/ip and ipx built into my linux kernel.  I was hoping I could *ahem*
play with myself and see what a deathmatch looks like.  It's not clear
how to get a network game going on Linux successfully, either two
instances on the same machine, or via the ppp/internet with another
player (anyone want to try this if they know how?)

It's got potential.  Like most other Linux apps when they first come
out, it seems to be riddled with incompatibilities, requirements to
diddle with new kernels and third party kernel patches, key mapping
problems and other fatal bugs that give it that special taste of a "fly
by night" genre that we Linux users are so accustomed to.  Gotta love
it.

--

http://www.best.com/~tdgilman

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Jeff Atwo » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00



Quote:> I finally got it working with sound.  I had to get the latest Linux
> kernel (1.3.68) and enable support for my soundblaster16 and add the
> extra driver (the tasd one they mentioned in the documentation).  The
> sound is very LOUD though.  In windows95 there is a control to adjust my
> volume, but I suppose that's too much to ask for linux.  I have no idea
> how to turn the sound down in Linux, even by commandline.  The speaker's
> amplifier is OFF.  It's all power coming from the SB16 itself.

I *still* don't understand why people love Linux so much. Maybe if you're running an ISP,
you're thinking "hey, free UNIX!" but for regular apps, it's a pain. There's a reason we
aren't all running UNIX as was predicted in the mid 80's, for God's sake.

Quote:> It appears to be 320x200 and you can't change that.  It looks good though.
> Real sharp.  Maybe because I have x in 640x480 mode and the xquake window
> is small enough that it looks sharp.  It's different than playing it in
> DOS 320x200 and just shrinking the screen to that size.  It just looks
> different and sharper in Linux.  I like it.

Low-res windows look better in hi-res displays, I know exactly what you mean. There is no
real difference, though. Make it full screen and it will look exactly the same. You can
get the same effect by viewing a Quake screenshot in a hi-res display mode under Win95.

Quote:> It seems quicker than DOS, although I don't know if that's all in my
> head becuase of a bias towards Linux.  Even when the turtle comes on the
> screen (I have a Cyrix 5x86, which is like topoftheline486/Pentium75
> performance in real world game playing), it still "feels" faster in
> Linux, like he isn't running as slowly as he does in dos.  Don't know
> why.

I'd be interested to hear if it is faster. Just use the F6/F7 frame rate MS counters and
do it from the start of the level so we know the position is exactly the same.

Quote:> I can't strafe.  When I press <alt>-<arrow> xquake crashes.  This seems
> to be a conflict with FVWM and FVWM wins.  Resizing, or even moving,
> the window can cause xquake to crash and burn.

> PGUP works, but DEL doesn't (so I can't look down).

can't you BIND (KEY) +MLOOK or any of the other console commands?

Quote:> I tried loading one instance of xquake with "-listen 2" and the other
> with "+connect" but the latter could not find a server.  I have both
> tcp/ip and ipx built into my linux kernel.  I was hoping I could *ahem*
> play with myself and see what a deathmatch looks like.  It's not clear
> how to get a network game going on Linux successfully, either two
> instances on the same machine, or via the ppp/internet with another
> player (anyone want to try this if they know how?)

Hmm. I'll have to try the two instances on the same machine, but I don't think it'll
work.

Quote:> It's got potential.  Like most other Linux apps when they first come
> out, it seems to be riddled with incompatibilities, requirements to
> diddle with new kernels and third party kernel patches, key mapping
> problems and other fatal bugs that give it that special taste of a "fly
> by night" genre that we Linux users are so accustomed to.  Gotta love
> it.

*s of the world, unite! :)
> --

> http://www.veryComputer.com/~tdgilman


 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Steffen Winterfel » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00



: It appears to be 320x200 and you can't change that.  It looks good though.
: Real sharp.  Maybe because I have x in 640x480 mode and the xquake window
: is small enough that it looks sharp.  It's different than playing it in
: DOS 320x200 and just shrinking the screen to that size.  It just looks
: different and sharper in Linux.  I like it.
:
: [...]
:
: I tried loading one instance of xquake with "-listen 2" and the other
: with "+connect" but the latter could not find a server.  I have both

You can use

  -winsize <width> <height>

to set the window size. It crashed on my system on anything
bigger than about 320 x 230 (72 kbyte), though.

Setting up a server via -listen worked, however. But only
without sound (-nosound).

Steffen

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Joseph Vigne » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00



Quote:>I finally got it working with sound.  I had to get the latest Linux
>kernel (1.3.68) and enable support for my soundblaster16 and add the
>extra driver (the tasd one they mentioned in the documentation).

Hmm.. What did you have to do to get sound?  I have 1.3.68, with the tasd
3.5beta7 driver for my GUS 3.7...  No sound yet :(  When I start xquake, I
get the error 'Couldn't fork dmasim'...

Anyone else get sound from xquake?
--

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by mrkit » Fri, 01 Mar 1996 04:00:00





> >Hmm.. What did you have to do to get sound?  I have 1.3.68, with the tasd
> >3.5beta7 driver for my GUS 3.7...  No sound yet :(  When I start xquake, I
> >get the error 'Couldn't fork dmasim'...

> Ahhh.. I found the problem.  The TASD 3.5beta8 driver doesn't allow the GUS
> mmap access to the dma buffers...  For this reason, a few cards won't work,
> the GUS is one of them :(  (The MAX supposedly works, though....)

> --


Yeah, I have a GUS MAX and linux 1.3.68 tasd 3.5b8 and sound works
great.  Get a gus max or a gus ace :)
-mrk
 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Jason Egglesto » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00


Try linux 1.3.69

It has the beta 8 driver.  Works for me and I used to get that error.

--
+---------------------------------------------+
|  Jason Eggleston                            |

|  URL:    http://www-scf.usc.edu/~jegglest/  |
+---------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Anthony Wesl » Sat, 02 Mar 1996 04:00:00



: >I finally got it working with sound.  I had to get the latest Linux
: >kernel (1.3.68) and enable support for my soundblaster16 and add the
: >extra driver (the tasd one they mentioned in the documentation).

: Hmm.. What did you have to do to get sound?  I have 1.3.68, with the tasd
: 3.5beta7 driver for my GUS 3.7...  No sound yet :(  When I start xquake, I
: get the error 'Couldn't fork dmasim'...

: Anyone else get sound from xquake?
: --

I have 1.3.64 and the tasd driver (3.5-beta7) and a SB16. Sound works fine for
me, and xquake seems to get about the same performance as under DOS.

I have a p166 w/32Mb and a S3 Trio32 w/2Mb video card, and can get up to 640x400
before the turtle starts making a regular appearance.

Anthony

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by rksw.. » Mon, 04 Mar 1996 04:00:00



Subject: Re: Comments on Quake for Linux
Date: 3 Mar 1996 17:34:34 GMT




>: You can use
>:
>:   -winsize <width> <height>
>:
>: to set the window size. It crashed on my system on anything
>: bigger than about 320 x 230 (72 kbyte), though.

>Let me gues --- you are really low on memory? It worked up to about
>1300x1200 for me. No, I didn't really play it at that size, but it
>was fun nonetheless.

>Bernie

>P.S.: ID --- how about a linux/alpha version as well? a nice 333MHz
>21164 might be able to play decently at those resolution ;-)

ddt posted on the Linux/Alpha mailing list a few months ago saying
that he wanted to demo a deathmatch with him playing on an Alpha
running Linux and his opponent on a Pentium and of course he would
blow the guy away.  You can read the full message at:
http://homer.ncm.com/linux-alpha/0665.html
It's actually quite funny.  He said there's going to be an OSF/1
or DEC UNIX port so I guess ID already has an Alpha.

Ravi
--
Ravi K. Swamy                http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rkswamy/www/

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Nick Brut » Tue, 05 Mar 1996 04:00:00


Well I can get xquake to run on my linux box BUT I cant see anything cos
the screen is so dark, is there a way to lighten the picture ??

Thanks Nick

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Alexander San » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00




Quote:> It appears to be 320x200 and you can't change that.  It looks good though.
> Real sharp.  Maybe because I have x in 640x480 mode and the xquake window
> is small enough that it looks sharp.  It's different than playing it in
> DOS 320x200 and just shrinking the screen to that size.  It just looks
> different and sharper in Linux.  I like it.

You can change it. Try xquake -winsize 600 400 and you will get a really
nice window size. It runs smoothly on my P133 box with a matrox millenium and
the Accelerated-X server. Looks great with this resolution.

Quote:> I can't strafe.  When I press <alt>-<arrow> xquake crashes.  This seems
> to be a conflict with FVWM and FVWM wins.  Resizing, or even moving,
> the window can cause xquake to crash and burn.

Well, I can strafe in one direction using the NUMPAD <Ins> key. Didn't found
the second key yet :-(

Quote:> PGUP works, but DEL doesn't (so I can't look down).

Same is true for me

regards
--
                        ______              
   as.  _powered by____/    //
   _____________________   //_      

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by a.. » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00



Subject: Re: Comments on Quake for Linux
Date: 5 Mar 1996 01:46:45 GMT



Quote:> It appears to be 320x200 and you can't change that.  It looks good
though.
> Real sharp.  Maybe because I have x in 640x480 mode and the xquake
window
> is small enough that it looks sharp.  It's different than playing it
in
> DOS 320x200 and just shrinking the screen to that size.  It just looks
> different and sharper in Linux.  I like it.

You can change it. Try xquake -winsize 600 400 and you will get a really
nice window size. It runs smoothly on my P133 box with a matrox
millenium and
the Accelerated-X server. Looks great with this resolution.

Quote:> I can't strafe.  When I press <alt>-<arrow> xquake crashes.  This
seems
> to be a conflict with FVWM and FVWM wins.  Resizing, or even moving,
> the window can cause xquake to crash and burn.

Well, I can strafe in one direction using the NUMPAD <Ins> key. Didn't
found
the second key yet :-(

Quote:> PGUP works, but DEL doesn't (so I can't look down).

Same is true for me

regards
--
                        ______              
   as.  _powered by____/    //
   _____________________   //_      

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Robert Log » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00


Quote:> >Anyone else get sound from xquake?

yup, on an orchid soundwave - configured as Windows Sound
System (ad1848 dsp chip). Works very well.

Quote:> I talked to Dave Taylor on irc... he said that it will only work with
> a soundblaster under linux, even with the tasd driver, i.e. no running
> it under linux to get GUS support.  'Twas a disappointment to me to.
> Also, he said he knows about xquake dying when it leaves view
> (i.e. fvwm desktop scrolling) and that he already fixed it.

I suppose he hasnt had a chance to test it with this card.
should do a bug report (success report) I suppose.

bert

--
-------------------------------------------------------
Linux - reaches the parts other beers fail to reach.
WWW: http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/~rl
WWW: http://www.cms.dmu.ac.uk/CCSR
-------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by Ravi K. Swa » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00






>>>Hmm.. What did you have to do to get sound?  I have 1.3.68, with the tasd
>>>3.5beta7 driver for my GUS 3.7...  No sound yet :(  When I start xquake, I
>>>get the error 'Couldn't fork dmasim'...

>>>Anyone else get sound from xquake?

>>I talked to Dave Taylor on irc... he said that it will only work with
>>a soundblaster under linux, even with the tasd driver, i.e. no running

Well I can't get it to work with my 8-bit SB Pro under Linux even with
the SAMPLE_BIT environment var set to 8.  I think my card is pretty
broken though.  It doesn't record anything either.

Quote:>>it under linux to get GUS support.  'Twas a disappointment to me to.
>>Also, he said he knows about xquake dying when it leaves view
>>(i.e. fvwm desktop scrolling) and that he already fixed it.

>If ddt told you this (about the sound), then he lied to you :)  xquake uses
>mmap()ed sound provided by the newer beta tasd releases.  According to Hannu
>(the guy who writes tasd), the GUS will not be supported in this mode when
>he emailed me and stated that the GUS driver is aleady a monster, and to add
>this support would be a real pin, because any sound played by a GUS has to
>be put onto the card's RAM, and then played.. Apparently this would be a
>real pain.  For those with other cards, you'll be all set.

>Roomates with Ensoniq Soundsacapes, and GUS MAXes are getting nice, stereo
>sound with xquake under linux...

So I just need to make sure I'm getting a GUS MAX and not a plain GUS
when I order the card this afternoon?

Ravi
--
Ravi K. Swamy                http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rkswamy/www/

 
 
 

Comments on Quake for Linux

Post by r.. » Thu, 07 Mar 1996 04:00:00



Subject: Re: Comments on Quake for Linux
Date: 5 Mar 1996 22:40:51 -0500


Vigneau) writes:


>>I finally got it working with sound.  I had to get the latest Linux
>>kernel (1.3.68) and enable support for my soundblaster16 and add the
>>extra driver (the tasd one they mentioned in the documentation).
>Hmm.. What did you have to do to get sound?  I have 1.3.68, with the
tasd
>3.5beta7 driver for my GUS 3.7...  No sound yet :(  When I start
xquake, I
>get the error 'Couldn't fork dmasim'...
>Anyone else get sound from xquake?

I talked to Dave Taylor on irc... he said that it will only work with
a soundblaster under linux, even with the tasd driver, i.e. no running
it under linux to get GUS support.  'Twas a disappointment to me to.
Also, he said he knows about xquake dying when it leaves view
(i.e. fvwm desktop scrolling) and that he already fixed it.
--

GCS d-- s: a--- C++ UL++++ P++ L++ E+ W+ N++ o K-- w-- !O M-- !V !PS
!PE Y+(++) PGP t+ 5 !X R tv(+) DI+ G e- h! r !y
 
 
 

1. Comments on Quake for Linux

I like Linux for its stability and "uniqueness" -- unlike commercial
OS's, I don't have to worry (as much) about the company deciding it is
time for their customers to "upgrade" to their next newfangled OS product
(which your machine may or may not have the resources to run) and stop
support for it.  Even if I do decide to upgrade Linux, it's no big
deal, since I can just download the entire kernal source tree for free!

Linux seems to be very utilitarian, which I like.  No bells or whistles,
just what works.  As a computer hobbyist, I don't mind the tweaking and
configuring, since it has been my experience that once you get it set,
Linux hardly gives you grief about it later (unless you make some drastic
changes elsewhere).

I'm fortunate in that my needs aren't too demanding; currently, most of
my needs involving networking, and thus Linux fits the bill perfectly.

I never expected UNIX to take over the world, but I don't see unix dying
anytime soon.

Also, Linux seems to be a sort of "cult" phenomena -- the people I've met
who use Linux are generally quite knowledgable about computer systems,
though not particularly pragmatically-minded.  :)

This tells me that they have a genuine interest in computers (I mean come
on, even with Red Hat, the administration of the system alone still
requires patience and a detailed knowledge of your system lay out).

For games, well, that's why I have a dos partition for.  :)

Andrew
--
Andrew Pann                            Washington University in St. Louis

Applied Science (Comp Sci)             Class of '98 (with luck!)

2. PCMCIA resource conflict: io base 0x300

3. Linux GL Quake SLOWER than Win95/98 GL Quake?

4. Insmod doesn't like Module NE2000.

5. Quake, Quake II or Doom?

6. Broken pipe

7. sh->xqf->quake works, fvwm->xqf->quake hangs X?

8. 3rd USENIX Symposium on OS Design and Implementation (OSDI'99) - CFP

9. Unreal Tournament, Quake 2, Quake 3

10. quake and quake 2 installation

11. X Quake/Quake II half width

12. Setting Up Quake & Quake II

13. Comments within commented text?