big IDE drives

Post by George Wilk » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to work out whether or not I need to specify hd=cyls,heads,sects
when I boot my kernel (1.2.something).

I have a 1.6Gb drive with 3148,16,63 geometry.
I have windows 95 on first partition.

The booklet that comes with the 6-CD developer's set says yes.
I installed Slackware and have been booting from floppy with hd=...
successfully.

Now I want to install LILO into my MBR, but it doesn't like my partition
table. So, I boot up the kernel *without* the hd=... parameters and
I can install LILO fine. The kernel also seems to work fine!

So, should I be specifying these parameters or not????

Thanks.
--
George Wilkie