A silly question: POP and Sendmail

Post by Gumb » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Read the Mail HowTO.
Then you won't have silly questions...just serious ones.
:-)

-Gumby

Quote:> Does Sendmail support POP3?  If not, what should I install for my client
> computers to fetch mail from my Linux server?

> Jimmy

A silly question: POP and Sendmail

Post by Frank v Waver » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Read the Mail HowTO.
> Then you won't have silly questions...just serious ones.

As a wise man once said: There are no stupid questions, just stupid users. %)
--

                        Frank v Waveren

                        ICQ# 10074100

Post by Jimmy Li » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Does Sendmail support POP3?  If not, what should I install for my client
computers to fetch mail from my Linux server?

Jimmy

1. sendmail, IMAP and POP questions

Could any one answer the following questions please!!!

1)

Can the sendmail server only communicates with another server running
sendmail? How does it send mail messages to servers running different
"sendmail-equivalent"?

2) can sendmail (which uses SMTP) sends mails to servers running other mail
programs ( using some other mail protocols )?

3) through IMAP or POP, the users are able to retreive their mails. At my work,

we use sendmail and IMAP. We have an IMAP server. When I login in and run my
mail program, a login window pops up. When it authenticates me, it opens my
inbox. I guess at this point, it IMAP will retrieve my mails and put them in my

inbox. I don't understand where my mails are located. Are they on my computer
or
on the server.
  Is the server running sendmail also running IMAP?
  or IMAP is run on a different server?
  or may be IMAP is a program through which I am able to read my mails, delete
them, copy them, forward them etc.?

  POP
  ****
 4)  pop program retrieves the mails from the servers and puts it on the users
inbox on his computers? if yes then does "hotmail" use IMAP or POP?

5) What does network monitoring entails?

2. voice recognition on Linux.

3. IMAP/POP and sendmail question?

4. _builtin_va_arg_incr, Undefined symbol. Wcl library, Sol 2.4

5. Arguing is silly... fun, but silly.

6. STB 5430

7. silly MTU problem? Or am I silly?

8. IT address

9. Sendmail question again, Re: Sendmail question

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. Sendmail AUTH and POPS, IMAPS

12. Fetchmail, POP, sendmail and sudo (bag o cats)

13. HLP:timeout on pop/sendmail