Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Post by Brian Pett » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
out on?  Am I missing something here?

-Brian

Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Post by Chri » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Redhat 5.1 has the main installation disk, a source code disk, and a
disk containing commercial software (or at least cutdown versions).

To be honest, I haven't looked at the commercial software yet - I got
everything I needed on the main installation disk.

You might be better off with the CD pack from LSL. Debian is a rather
attractive distribution (not that RedHat isn't), but initially you
could try before you settle on a particular distribution.

However, I found having a printed copy of the installation manual with
RedHat an advantage, being new to installing Linux.

regards,
--

Post by Jerry Lynn Krep » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
> considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
> has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
> extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
> out on?  Am I missing something here?

> -Brian

I started with an RH5.0 CD out of the back of "Learn Linux in 24 Hours"
and later purchased the offical RH5.1 box from LSL.  The Bill Ball book
has specific details for the RH5.0. In the box I got an installation
manual, very similar to LLin24H but with 5.1 specific details.  The two
books are about the same size and both are well written.  The two extra
CD in the 5.1 box contained a bunch of commercial demoware, like
WordPerfect and others.  The demoware is time limited, but they give you
an ideal of the worth of the apps.  The same stuff can be downloaded
from the various distro's servers.
IMHO, all in all, I'd call it a tossup.
Jerry

Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Post by Atha » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I bought RedHat Linux from CheepBytes for 10$ ~ 7 it has also some
updates,
the images to create the floppy disks are on the CD, even though the CD
is bootables so... I only had to reboot my computer without the floppy
disk
and Install RedHat, Now I 'm trying (With the help of a friend) to install

linux 2.1.125 and connect to the internet, and .... so many things.

Keep trying

Athan

Post by j.. » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
>>considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
>>has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
>>extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
>>out on?  Am I missing something here?

>The "official" Red Hat includes the RealMedia player, RealMedia server,
>and the BRU tape backup program. You can get the RealPlayer from
>the Real Audio home page, you probably don't need the RealMedia server,
>and "tar" backups work.

>Personally, I like having BRU. Much more reliable than 'tar'. But you
>can get the Red Hat "Boxed Set" for less than $30 if you get it from
>LSL.

        You can also get Offical Redhat from linuxmall or cheapbytes
        for $35 (official suse as well).

[deletia]
--
Unix had  startmenus and tasbars before Microsoft          |||
even had a decent memory manager for DOS.                 / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Post by Atha » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I bought RedHat Linux from CheepBytes for 10$ ~ 7 it has also some
updates,
the images to create the floppy disks are on the CD, even though the CD
is bootables so... I only had to reboot my computer without the floppy
disk
and Install RedHat, Now I 'm trying (With the help of a friend) to install

linux 2.1.125 and connect to the internet, and .... so many things.

Keep trying

Athan

> I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
> considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
> has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
> extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
> out on?  Am I missing something here?

> -Brian

Red Hat Linux for $50 at RedHat.Com vs. Red Hat from LSL

Post by Eric Lee Gre » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
>considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
>has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
>extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
>out on?  Am I missing something here?

The "official" Red Hat includes the RealMedia player, RealMedia server,
and the BRU tape backup program. You can get the RealPlayer from
the Real Audio home page, you probably don't need the RealMedia server,
and "tar" backups work.

Personally, I like having BRU. Much more reliable than 'tar'. But you
can get the Red Hat "Boxed Set" for less than $30 if you get it from
LSL.

As somebody else said, Debian is worth a try too. I keep intending to
set up a Debian partition on my home computer, but never get around to
it :-(.

--

"To call Microsoft an innovator is like calling the Pope Jewish ..."
            -- James Love (Consumer Project on Technology)

Post by Atha » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I bought RedHat Linux from CheepBytes for 10$ ~ 7 it has also some
updates,
the images to create the floppy disks are on the CD, even though the CD
is bootables so... I only had to reboot my computer without the floppy
disk
and Install RedHat, Now I 'm trying (With the help of a friend) to
install

linux 2.1.125 and connect to the internet, and .... so many things.

Keep trying

Athan

> I'm considering installing Linux on a new machine (which I'm also
> considering buying) and want to get the CD pack from LSL for $8 that
> has Red Hat, Slack, SuSe and Debian dist. of Linux.  Is there anything
> extra from the $50 3 cd set from RedHat.COM that I'd really be missing
> out on?  Am I missing something here?

> -Brian

7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:

Please help!

2. Resolving IRQ conflics with PnP?

3. "Official" Red Hat vs. Red Hat

4. need help downloading w/ 14.4 modem in kermit

5. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

6. 56K modem as backup

7. Red Hat 5.1 from LSL.COM

8. Aaaarrrggghhh! What's with rm???

9. Demonizing Red Hat (was: CodeWarrior for Red Hat Linux)

10. Sun, Red Hat To Offer Red Hat Linux On Sun Servers

11. Red Hat's Linux Application CD which ships with Red Hat Professional Server Version 7

12. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

13. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0