setting ENV vars during boot?

Post by Martin Bro » Thu, 26 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to be able to make an environmental var assignment
(DBROOT=/usr/local/adabas) during the boot process so that all daemons and
users will have it.  Is this possible?  Where would I put the assignment?

Thanx.

--
                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -

                      PGP public key available via finger

1. Referencing an env var from an env var

I am trying to reference an environment variable from within an
environment variable.

    HOME=/home/paul
    x=HOME
    echo $"$x"

    gives me $HOME and not /home/paul
or
    HOME=/home/paul
    x=\$HOME
    echo $x

    gives me $HOME and not /home/paul

I could write a c program that would use getenv recursively, but it
would me more aesthetically pleasing to use a (simple ?) shell command.
Is there anything I'm missing, or am I attempting the impossible ?

I am using ksh on HP-UX 10.20

Please email any thoughts as well as posting them.  Thanks

Paul Graves

EDS Electronic Commerce
Cheadle, Cheshire, UK

2. disconnection ISDN

3. protection setting during boot to wrong states of /, /usr, /var and bash

4. how to run script after adsl-start

5. Need help not passing make vars as env vars in gmake.

6. which video card for an ultra 10?

7. setting $DISPLAY env var

8. LyX-0.12.0 released

9. Setting global ENV var for all users in /etc/init.d/*-scripts ?

10. setting env var from shell script : HELP...

11. CGI C set env var and call a c external function failed on UNIX

12. Automagically setting DISPLAY env. var.

13. Setting env vars for all shells