Weird KDE installation problem: user works, root doesn't

Weird KDE installation problem: user works, root doesn't

Post by Erik Hense » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

Hi,

I've been running KDE for several months. All the time, I was running
it as a normal user, but now the Beta1 has come out, I wanted to
install it for root (to use the nice interface to edit menu's, use
krpm, etc).
I've copied my ~/.xinitrc containing something like:

kpanel &
kfm &
kdisplay -init &
kwm

I can't really check it now, since I'm in w95 :-(((

When I do a startx as root, KFM comes up with a messages that it's
creating some directories (they already exist..), and that it can't
find kdeX.rpm (nine or ten of them, they all exist).

The "start" menu (has it got a name?) in the panel is empty, execpt
for the exit, lock, and panel items.

Weird?

Oh, as a user, my background isn't set automatically at startup, but
only when I run the background module, should I replace kdisplay -init
with the module?
I don't have any documentation installed in $KDEDIR/doc/HTML anymore,
is this normal? I've installed every RPM package from the distribution
dir.

---
Erik Hensema
Please remove the "delete_me" from my address before replying.

Post by Sirtaj Ka » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: When I do a startx as root, KFM comes up with a messages that it's
: creating some directories (they already exist..), and that it can't
: find kdeX.rpm (nine or ten of them, they all exist).

: The "start" menu (has it got a name?) in the panel is empty, execpt
: for the exit, lock, and panel items.

: Weird?

Lots of things have changed, most importantly the file-system standard
that we were using before. You might have to remove your ~/.kde directory
(back up anything you need) so that the files are searched for and
found in the right places.

: Oh, as a user, my background isn't set automatically at startup, but
: only when I run the background module, should I replace kdisplay -init
: with the module?

Yep, kdisplay is now on its way out. The background module also allows
much faster background switching than kdisplay did.

: I don't have any documentation installed in $KDEDIR/doc/HTML anymore,
: is this normal? I've installed every RPM package from the distribution
: dir.

Have a look in $KDEDIR/share/doc/[default|en]/HTML. Also a victim of the
new FSSTND. :)

-Taj.

        remove X to reply

Post by Donovan Rebbech » Fri, 31 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've been running KDE for several months. All the time, I was running
> it as a normal user, but now the Beta1 has come out, I wanted to
> install it for root (to use the nice interface to edit menu's, use
> krpm, etc).
> I've copied my ~/.xinitrc containing something like:

> kpanel &
> kfm &
> kdisplay -init &
> kwm

> I can't really check it now, since I'm in w95 :-(((

> When I do a startx as root, KFM comes up with a messages that it's
> creating some directories (they already exist..), and that it can't
> find kdeX.rpm (nine or ten of them, they all exist).

> The "start" menu (has it got a name?) in the panel is empty, execpt
> for the exit, lock, and panel items.

There's a script called 'startkde' in /opt/kde/bin
Read it -- It just might inspire you...