backing up 8G partition to CD's

Post by Penguin Ze » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:06:09

How do I back up my whole Linux partition (about 8 GB) to CD-R's?  I
know how to do this with a tape drive, but on this computer all I have
is a CD-writer.  Also, there is not too much free space on the HD, so
the obvious solution (dd; split; koncd) does not work (requires 16G).
Also, I don't want to spend hours selecting files ("now back up this
folder, but not that subfolder since the CD does not have space,
etc.").

It is not necessary that the CD-R's contain all individual files that
are on the system; the system will only be restored all at once.

Also, the backup should be restorable when the HD is wiped out, e.g.
by a program on another CD or floppy that reads the backup CD-R's.

If someone could even explain a method that works for partitions that
have no supported filesystem (such as WinXP), that would be even
better.

backing up 8G partition to CD's

Post by John Reise » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:49:47

Visit  http://freshmeat.net , search for "backup CD" (without the quotation marks),
and choose from over a dozen projects.

backing up 8G partition to CD's

Post by Ken Bradfor » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:46:22

Quote:>How do I back up my whole Linux partition (about 8 GB) to CD-R's?  I
>know how to do this with a tape drive, but on this computer all I have
>is a CD-writer.  Also, there is not too much free space on the HD, so
>the obvious solution (dd; split; koncd) does not work (requires 16G).
>Also, I don't want to spend hours selecting files ("now back up this
>folder, but not that subfolder since the CD does not have space,
>etc.").

>It is not necessary that the CD-R's contain all individual files that
>are on the system; the system will only be restored all at once.

>Also, the backup should be restorable when the HD is wiped out, e.g.
>by a program on another CD or floppy that reads the backup CD-R's.

Perhaps Mondo Rescue, http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/.

Ken

Post by Jean-Francois Lemair » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 01:21:28

>>How do I back up my whole Linux partition (about 8 GB) to CD-R's?  I
>>know how to do this with a tape drive, but on this computer all I have
>>is a CD-writer.  Also, there is not too much free space on the HD, so
>>the obvious solution (dd; split; koncd) does not work (requires 16G).
>>Also, the backup should be restorable when the HD is wiped out, e.g.
>>by a program on another CD or floppy that reads the backup CD-R's.
> Perhaps Mondo Rescue, http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/.

I second that. I use Mondo every week to backup my system (about 7-8 GB)
and it's great. The first CD it creates is a bootable linux system based
on the one you're running. I just love it.

JFL

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 00:22:40

Quote:> How do I back up my whole Linux partition (about 8 GB) to CD-R's?  I
> know how to do this with a tape drive, but on this computer all I have
> is a CD-writer.  Also, there is not too much free space on the HD, so
> the obvious solution (dd; split; koncd) does not work (requires 16G).
> Also, I don't want to spend hours selecting files ("now back up this
> folder, but not that subfolder since the CD does not have space,
> etc.").

> It is not necessary that the CD-R's contain all individual files that
> are on the system; the system will only be restored all at once.

> Also, the backup should be restorable when the HD is wiped out, e.g.
> by a program on another CD or floppy that reads the backup CD-R's.

> If someone could even explain a method that works for partitions that
> have no supported filesystem (such as WinXP), that would be even
> better.

partimage ?