FREE "commercial" BACKUP/RESTORE software

FREE "commercial" BACKUP/RESTORE software

Post by Gary C. Helle » Sun, 26 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Get PerfectBACKUP+ free from:  www.unisrc.com

   We've enjoyed such incredible support from the LINUX community over
the last few years that we've decided to give something back.  We've
made a PerfectBACKUP+ Personal Edition which is completely free.  Its
not crippled, has no timeout, and is free for your use either privately
or commercially.  You can redistribute it, duplicate it and proliferate
it as you see fit.  You can put it on your website to help attract
customers to your own products/services, and include it with your
turnkey systems if you sell iron. The Personal Edition of PerfectBACKUP+
is *FREE* software.   Please DO NOT proliferate other versions/editions
of PerfectBACKUP+ (Solaris/UnixWare etc.) because they are not free.
Only the LINUX Personal Edition of PerfectBACKUP+ is free.

Thanx for your continued support,
and enjoy.

Gary.

--
Gary C. Heller                    Tel: 407-834-1973
Unisource Systems, Inc.           Fax: 407-834-1973

Longwood, FL 32750                URL: http://www.unisrc.com
"Thank you for supporting the UNIX community."

Post by a.. » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

Quote:>Get PerfectBACKUP+ free from:  www.unisrc.com

>   We've enjoyed such incredible support from the LINUX community over
>the last few years that we've decided to give something back.  We've
>made a PerfectBACKUP+ Personal Edition which is completely free.  Its
>not crippled, has no timeout, and is free for your use either privately
>or commercially.  You can redistribute it, duplicate it and proliferate
>it as you see fit.  You can put it on your website to help attract
>customers to your own products/services, and include it with your
>turnkey systems if you sell iron. The Personal Edition of PerfectBACKUP+
>is *FREE* software.   Please DO NOT proliferate other versions/editions
>of PerfectBACKUP+ (Solaris/UnixWare etc.) because they are not free.
>Only the LINUX Personal Edition of PerfectBACKUP+ is free.

>Thanx for your continued support,
>and enjoy.

>Gary.

But note that it only works with Kernel 1.x and not 2.x. This was
discovered after a lot of frustration and experimenting and finally
contacting Gary about the problem.

RV

Post by Patrck Mora » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> But note that it only works with Kernel 1.x and not 2.x. This was
> discovered after a lot of frustration and experimenting and finally
> contacting Gary about the problem.

> RV

That is strange. I got it to work with kernel 2.0.30 okay with the menu.
BUT I am havinng problems getting it to work from the command line. It
says "deleteing duplicate files" and then sits there. Maybe I didn't
wait lomg enough (about 5 minutes or so on three tries.) I don't know
why it wants to delete duplicate files, I just wanted to make another
backup of my /usr/src directory and try to use the compression and time
it. I laso haven't tried a restore yet as I want a known good backup
before I erase everything on that drive!

Pat

Post by Guy William Hayto » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Get PerfectBACKUP+ free from:  www.unisrc.com

Did this as soon as I could, I really needed a decent tar alternative

Quote:>Thanx for your continued support,
>and enjoy.

>Gary.

Unfortunately I cannot get it to work under RedHat 4.2.
I did everything the instructions told me, I also installed it under
/usr/local/PERFBACK like a good sysadmin <g>

However, whenever I try to login as pbadmin or try and su - pbadmin, it
all seems to work okay... in that Perfect Backup starts up a character
based screen informing that X-versions are not available free and there
is ABSOLUTELY NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT!!!

After this screen, I get a BAD NEWS Signal error message number 17.
This seems to point to the character based display. I have read the
readme's in the /usr/local/PERFBACK/terms directory and cannot see
anything obvious...

Has anybody experienced this problem (and perhaps more importantly
solved it???? <bg>   8-)
--
Guy William Hayton

Web Site: http://www.hayton.demon.co.uk