VFAT (win95 filesystem) support ?

Post by system PRIVILEGED accou » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I'd like to know if there is planned (or current) support for the
: VFAT fs (beurk, it's the win95 fs).

Try the XMSDOS filesystem, it is alpha only, however.

I am using it mounted ro for now and it seems to work just fine.

It is found at:

mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/multimedia/linux/xmsdos/xmsdos-0.1.6.tgz

Here is the readme file:

Release: xmsdos 0.1.6

This is an alpha release of xmsdos, a VFAT filesystem that
can handle Windows 95 and Windows NT long filenames.  Be warned, it may do
irrepairable damage to your directories and your disk.  Most likely, it
won't.  If you mount the filesystems as read-only, you shouldn't have
anything to worry about.  It was tested on Linux 1.3.x and Windows NT 3.5.
It does not work on NTFS partitions.

Where to get:

   mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:/pub/multimedia/linux/xmsdos/xmsdos-0.1.6.tgz

How to use:

   Until the system is stable, the filesystem is called xmsdos.
   When the filesystem is stable, I would hope that it may replace the
   msdos filesystem.  In order for that to happen, quite a bit more work
   and integration needs to occur.

   To load the filesystem:

      insmod xmsdos.o

   To mount a floppy:

      mount -t xmsdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

Things to note:

    If you use non-ASCII characters on Windows NT in a filename, you
    will be unable to retrieve that file.  Right now, this has not been
    tested at all, so the results are unpredictable.

    The makefile has -CCONFIG_MODVERSIONS turned on.  If you're kernel
    is built without them on, you'll need to remove them from the Makefile.

Please specify the filename and the operation that gave you trouble.

Acknowledgements:

    information he provided on creating the short filename checksum and the
    structure of the long filenames.

    the case bits for the DOS filename entry and his excellent bug reports.

    what was broken in the 1.3.x kernels.  Gilles wrote doslfn, a package
    with the same functionality as xmsdos.  We intend to work together to
    create an excellent combined package.

    problems with certain filenames under Windows 95.  He provided fixes
    and changes to the filesystem to make it work much more like the
    Windows 95 implementation.

Gordon Chaffee

--

Southeast Design Center                   Voice:            160 ext. 25

1. Restoring a Win95 (VFAT) filesystem from tape

Has anyone restored a filesystem mounted as vfat from a tar, and been
able to boot it? In other words, is there some magic that gets lost in
the translation to the UNIX domain?
--

President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571
539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2     (519) 241 2461

2. How to create ne useraccount

3. Mounting win95 vfat w/ pcfs onto solaris x86 filesystems

4. Help! Netscape/Java applet problems

5. UMSDOS and Win95 Vfat filesystem?

6. Sun Ray

7. Copy of large file from ext2 to vfat corrupts vfat filesystem.

8. RCF module for MSN Messenger

9. Is there Win95 VFAT support?

10. vfat filesystem support?

11. kernel patch to support win95's VFAT?

12. VFAT filesystem that supports symlinks?

13. vfat filesystem support in 2.3.51 kernel