Linux browsers denied access to Ziff Davis website

Linux browsers denied access to Ziff Davis website

Post by POlson10 » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are using a
proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads which they claim
is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients. Yeah, right.
They are denying access to large portions of their website to non ms/mac users.
The most ironic thing was the story titled: "NT for big biz, Linux for small
biz, Win98 for home?" is of obvious interest to Linux users.
http://www.ci.infobeads.com/default.asp?module=insider&topic=LAN&stor...
lans_0223

To be sure, not all of their links to pages have this Infobead thing, but
enough do. I wrote to them to complain, telling them that making the web
proprietary is very anti-Internet, and their web site manager responded "its
the first I heard of this problem."

Lets make an effort to keep the internet standard and accessible to all
clients.

I use RH 5, w/Netscape 4.05, and love it.

I am using AOL to send this because my company does not have a Usenet feed. . .

Thanks,
--Peter
Peter Olson

http://members.aol.com/~polson1031

Linux browsers denied access to Ziff Davis website

Post by Richard Store » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Run their underwear up the flag pole!  They have a strong bias (whether in
this case or not, it is evidenced abundantly, in general) for the forum
that is their bread & butter--wintel et al.

Quote:

> I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are using a
> proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads which they
claim
> is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients. Yeah,
right.
> They are denying access to large portions of their website to non ms/mac
users.
> The most ironic thing was the story titled: "NT for big biz, Linux for
small
> biz, Win98 for home?" is of obvious interest to Linux users.

Sounds like a bunch of talking heads to me.  Blah, blah, blah.  Stir the
pot, fan the flame, initiate debate, print copy, sell magazines, perpetuate
their erudite image to the reading public.

Post by jbuch.. » Mon, 18 May 1998 04:00:00

: > I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are using a
: > proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads which they claim
: > is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients. Yeah, right.
: I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes :(   I also
: sent them a *gram asking them to explain this.  It will be interesting to see
: if I receive a response.  Since HTML is platform independent, I cannot imagine
: what their real reasoning is for this lame action :(

I would not expect an answer.

I sent them a polite request to add support (remove a block is more
like it) about three weeks ago. I offered to help test anything they
were worried about. No response.

I sent a follow-up message a week later, still no response.

--

================= http://www.veryComputer.com/~jbuchana ====================
"A fig for those by law protected! Liberty's a glorious feast!

Post by David Goldstei » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

> : > I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are using a
> : > proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads which they claim
> : > is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients. Yeah, right.
> : I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes :(   I also
> : sent them a *gram asking them to explain this.  It will be interesting to see
> : if I receive a response.  Since HTML is platform independent, I cannot imagine
> : what their real reasoning is for this lame action :(

> I would not expect an answer.

> Jim Buchanan

Jim,   I actually did get a response of sorts.  They thanked me for my inquiry and are
forwarding my message to the webmaster.
Some response, eh!?

David

Post by Larry Smit » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

 > : > I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are
using a
 > : > proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads
which they claim
 > : > is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients.
Yeah, right.
 > : I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes
:(   I also
 > : sent them a *gram asking them to explain this.  It will be
interesting to see
 > : if I receive a response.  Since HTML is platform independent, I
cannot imagine
 > : what their real reasoning is for this lame action :(
 > I would not expect an answer.

Hey, guys - it's zdnet!  It's not like there is ever anything
_important_ or worth _reading_ at the site.  If they want to
further restrict their market, let 'em.

--
 .-.    .-. .---. .---. .-..-. |Politics is the art of looking for
 | |__ / | \| |-< | |-<  >  /  |trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing
 `----'`-^-'`-'`-'`-'`-' `-'   |it and then  misapplying the wrong
       My opinions only.       |remedies.             Groucho Marx

Post by Yo' Momm » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

>  > : > I have run into a problem with Ziff Davis's web site. They are
> using a
>  > : > proprietary marketing data collection routine called Infobeads
> which they claim
>  > : > is only compatible with Mac and Windows IE and Netscape clients.
> Yeah, right.
>  > : I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes
> :(   I also
>  > : sent them a *gram asking them to explain this.  It will be
> interesting to see
>  > : if I receive a response.  Since HTML is platform independent, I
> cannot imagine
>  > : what their real reasoning is for this lame action :(
>  > I would not expect an answer.

> Hey, guys - it's zdnet!  It's not like there is ever anything
> _important_ or worth _reading_ at the site.  If they want to
> further restrict their market, let 'em.

I did not have this problem.  I went to their site with netscape, KDE's
browser and with Lynx. It worked fine even with lynx.

Tim I.

Post by Ken Farwel » Thu, 21 May 1998 04:00:00

> Hey, guys - it's zdnet!  It's not like there is ever anything
> _important_ or worth _reading_ at the site.  If they want to
> further restrict their market, let 'em.

  I also went to the InfoBeads page and was denied access due to ,

 We are very sorry, but the InfoBeads web site does not currently support
your browser.
                                 Mozilla/4.04 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.0.32
i586)

After pondering this for sometime another senerial came to mind, maybe
there is a survey going on with the textbox  "If you would like
notification when support for your browser becomes available, please
provide your email address below. " to see what percentage is effected. Oh
ya, you did send them the noticy, I hope. If for no other reason, just to
let them know that you're out there and want to come in to. Granted they
might not have anything of any value, but it's no reason to lock the door.

Linux browsers denied access to Ziff Davis website

Post by Phillip Rul » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

Gather `round ladys & gents and we'll all see an anti-trust violation unfolding
live before our very eyes.

Somebody pass the marsh-mallows.

--

 This information may not reflect the views of The XFree86 Project Inc.

Linux browsers denied access to Ziff Davis website

Post by Pat Crea » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

For cryin' out loud, people, DROP IT.  The site is a pay per view page
hosted by a notorious microsoft booster.  Why on earth would you want to go
there (today or ever)?

>Gather `round ladys & gents and we'll all see an anti-trust violation
unfolding
>live before our very eyes.

>Somebody pass the marsh-mallows.

>--

> This information may not reflect the views of The XFree86 Project Inc.

1. Ziff-Davis (ZDNET) - hops on Linux bandwaggon

Posted on 19 Mar 1998.

http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html

<A
href="http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/13/os1613.001.html">Leani
ng towards Linux</a>

Happy reading

Cheers

Doug Marker

2. a zone as ldapclient

3. Ziff Davis give Red Hat Linux an award.

4. Syquest's Syjet under parallel port?

5. Flawed Ziff Davis eWeek 2.6 kernel article

6. getty_ps

7. Ziff- Davis Poll

8. new site translation

9. Ziff-Davis polls for Windows 98

10. Ziff-Davis article on Red Hat

11. No website access for Linux browsers?

12. Denying a specific IP address access to a website

13. denying access to certain websites