Using Inn for news...

Post by Cs » Sun, 26 May 1996 04:00:00

I am connecting to my linux box with ppp...works fine.
Whenever I try to connect to the news server I get a
message saying something like "I am not allowed to talk to you. Goodbye"
Where do I go to set it up to allow connections? And which program actually
handles serving the news in this case?
thanks

Using Inn for news...

Post by David Ston » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

: I am connecting to my linux box with ppp...works fine.
: Whenever I try to connect to the news server I get a
: message saying something like "I am not allowed to talk to you. Goodbye"
: Where do I go to set it up to allow connections? And which program actually
: handles serving the news in this case?
: thanks

I'd bet the message is more like "You have no permission to talk.  Goodbye"

You probably need to set up the files hosts.nntp and nnrp.access.

innd hears the initial connect, and if it decides according to hosts.nntp
that you're a newsreader instead of a peer server, and decides according
to nnrp.access that you should be allowed to read the news, it spawns
an instance of nnrpd to talk to you.

-David