IP-MASQ...anonymous access ??

Post by marc Julian mayerh?fe » Mon, 23 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I got a very strange question about IPmasquerading....since I only got a
stand-alone Linux host, the reason why I want to use masquerading is
cause I want to surf totally anonymous....I DO KNOW that this can be
done by letting the 'internal-network-IPs' onto the Internet (normally
everyone wants to avoid that)....

My question therefore is the following: Is it possible to telnet into my
own machine (which is running IP-masq), get the 'fake IP' and then go
and surf with that one ??? Remember, I want to telnet into my box FROM
the same box!!!

I know this sounds very strange but believe me I got my reasons....THANX
IN ADVANCE!!!!

IP-MASQ...anonymous access ??

Post by David Ashl » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I got a very strange question about IPmasquerading....since I only got a
>stand-alone Linux host, the reason why I want to use masquerading is
>cause I want to surf totally anonymous....I DO KNOW that this can be
>done by letting the 'internal-network-IPs' onto the Internet (normally
>everyone wants to avoid that)....

>My question therefore is the following: Is it possible to telnet into my
>own machine (which is running IP-masq), get the 'fake IP' and then go
>and surf with that one ??? Remember, I want to telnet into my box FROM
>the same box!!!

>I know this sounds very strange but believe me I got my reasons....THANX
>IN ADVANCE!!!!

I just set up IP masquerading today. I don't think it does what you want
it to do. To the outside world every machine on your local net appears
as the single machine connected to your ISP. If the site you want to
view doesn't know your real IP address, how can the packets get to you
at all?

The fake IP addresses can only be used internally on your private network.

Now, if you could gain root access to some machine on the internet you
could probably fiddle with its routing tables and whatnot and get it to
relay packets to you...Everything could eventually be traced though most
likely.
--

http://www.epyx.com/dash
SPAMMERS: You have nothing I want, don't send me email.

IP-MASQ...anonymous access ??

Post by Brian McCaule » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I got a very strange question about IPmasquerading....since I only got a
> stand-alone Linux host, the reason why I want to use masquerading is
> cause I want to surf totally anonymous.... I DO KNOW that this can be
> done by letting the 'internal-network-IPs' onto the Internet (normally
> everyone wants to avoid that)....

Unfortunately what you "DO KNOW" is not actually true.  Packets
addressed to/from Intranet IP addresses will simply be discarded by
the Internet.

1. IP-masq...anonymous access ??

I got a very strange question about IPmasquerading....since I only got a
stand-alone Linux host, the reason why I want to use masquerading is
cause I want to surf totally anonymous....I DO KNOW that this can be
done by letting the 'internal-network-IPs' onto the Internet (normally
everyone wants to avoid that)....

My question therefore is the following: Is it possible to telnet into my
own machine (which is running IP-masq), get the 'fake IP' and then go
and surf with that one ??? Remember, I want to telnet into my box FROM
the same box!!!

I know this sounds very strange but believe me I got my reasons....THANX
IN ADVANCE!!!!

2. HELP REQUESTED:Linux bootup frozen at "Adding swap"

3. Can't access some sites through IP-Masq

4. Static library linking problems

5. IP-masq and accessing outside ftps servicing on ports other than 21

6. Support for Cardbus cards for a portable pc

7. IP Masq'd Workstation to connect to IP Masq'd Workstation

8. X.500 in Solaris

9. IP Masq - Specify IP to Masq as?

10. Configuring net (IP-tunnel, IP-Alias, Proxy-ARP, NAT, IP-Masq?)

11. Anonymous FTP access from non-anonymous account

12. IP-routeing with IP-masq

13. Dynamic IP & Linux IP-Masq HOWTO