Swedish characters fail over remote terminal

Swedish characters fail over remote terminal

Post by Mats Wallande » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I have a problem with my 1.2.13 Linux system.
As I live in Sweden, my applications use the Swedish character set,
which works fine on the Linux console, when I map the keyboard using
loadkeys fi-latin1.map.
I use TERM=linux at the console.

The problem is when I connect to the system by a serial link (modem),
using ProComm Plus (or other VT-100 communication software)
The characters ?, ?, and ? is then exchanged to E, V, and D.
When I login through this line I set TERM=vt100.
How should I setup the remote user communication to get the Swedish
characters?
Thankful for any help.
Mats Wallander

:
: The problem is when I connect to the system by a serial link (modem),
: using ProComm Plus (or other VT-100 communication software)
: The characters ?, ?, and ? is then exchanged to E, V, and D.
: When I login through this line I set TERM=vt100.
: How should I setup the remote user communication to get the Swedish
: characters?
:
I don't know about Procomm Plus, but most American communications software
is not very good at supporting European and/or non-Roman character sets,
or for that matter anything but ASCII.  Kermit software, however, is very
good at this.  For Swedish, it supports not only Latin-1, but also 7-bit
ISO 646 Swedish and numerous proprietary encodings (DEC, Apple, NeXT, HP,
IBM, etc):

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

- Frank

Swedish characters fail over remote terminal

Post by Hannu Nevalaine » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

On 05-Nov-97 16:38:19

[Swedish, keyboard and characters on console, ok;  1.2.13 Linux]

Quote:>: The problem is when I connect to the system by a serial link (modem),
>: using ProComm Plus (or other VT-100 communication software)
>: The characters ?, ?, and ? is then exchanged to E, V, and D.
>: When I login through this line I set TERM=vt100.
>: How should I setup the remote user communication to get the Swedish
>: characters?

 A tip to Mats; Have a look at Finnish-HOWTO. Though it is written in Finnish
I think that you still can get some hints from there.

 You seem to have problems with the 8:th bit on characters on the console.

  '?' & 0x7F == 'E'
  '?'        == 'D'
  '?'        == 'V'   (the 'same' for lower case)

               +---- Remove before use ----+          /Hannu E K Nevalainen/
            <--+->                       <-+-->

--
"I'm not some cheap, doorstep-video papparazi poking his camera
 into private lives - that's not journalism, that's junk!" - E. Carter

1. 7bit Wyse terminal fail Swedish characters

I have a problem when connecting with an old Wyse60 terminal (or any
other equipment using only 7bit characters) to the serial line for
login.

I login from this terminal to the Linux system, through a serial port .
My application which uses ncurses has the Swedish characters ?,?,?. It
works fine when running on the console  which supports ISO8859, but on
the terminal it shows E, D, V, instead.

The Wyse terminal substitutes some characters to ?,?,?,?,?,?.
To make the terminal show the ?,?,? the codes to be sent from the Linux
system, should
be the same as ], [ , and backslash.
For ?, ?, ? the characters },{ and | should be sent.

Hex codes are
Linux 8859         Wyse terminal
?   E5        ->       7D
?   E4        ->       7B
?   F6        ->       7C
?  C5       ->        5D
?  C4       ->        5B
?  D6       ->        5C

The wyse terminal has no possibilities to convert incoming characters.
Only to set different
terminal types like PC-TERM, VT100, ADDS etc. I use VT100.
Is there any output streaming filter to use, for converting characters
to a displaying terminal? Maybe via terminfo, termcap???
Thankful for any help.
Mats Wallander

2. XConfig with Gateway System

3. Swedish characters on a linux terminal, how?

4. Problem: NFS-mount

5. sending escape character to remote terminal...

6. Any tools to write the configure.in and etc....

7. Swedish characters in xterm-windows under AIX4.3.

8. 3.3-R boot hangs after installing new SCSI drive

9. Swedish character set for XFree86

10. USB and Swedish characters

11. Swedish Character Set

12. Swedish characters ?,?,? ???

13. TROFF-like program with support for swedish-characters