looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Mark Anda » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:02:20

> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
> loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
> have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

> --

Zoom 2948 Dual Modem.  Never a problem ever.

Hope this helps.
Mark Andal

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 20 Aug 2000 13:46:52

Quote:>all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
>loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
>either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
>have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

When my Zoom (K56flex flashed to V.90) internal kept totally locking up
(requiring reboot) in any OS (due to flawed equipment at my ISP) I
purchased a Diamond SupraExpress 56 that worked flawlessly for an 11 hour
ftp FreeBSD install and since then with Linux.

Incidently, Lucent never could fix the troublesome (formerly) Livingston
Portmaster and ended its life cycle.  The SupraExpress somehow worked
around the problems on the other end.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Post by Noble Peppe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
>  loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if
> you  have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.
> thanks.

I using a Creative Labs Modem Blaster, but I believe ANY external will
work without problems.

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:Hypnotist writes:
> i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is either linux (Red Hat 602)
> compatible or doesn't require drivers.

That describes any external modem (there is no such thing as Red Hat 602,
though).

Quote:> if you have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.

Don't buy a 3Com U.S. Robotics 56K Faxmodem.  It sort of works, but not
well.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, Wisconsin

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Hypnoti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
instaling the drivers, and the drivers are for win95, 98 and nt...had to
return it...i checked around and it seems most, if not all, modems these
days even external ones need some sort of drivers.

: > all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
: >  loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
: > either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if
: > you  have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.
: > thanks.
: >
: >
: >
:

--

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Bria » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey:

Check out Zoltrix FMVSP56e3

Real cheap dual mode external "real" modem.

Best regards,

Brian

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
>buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
>instaling the drivers,

[...]

Nonsense. If it is a standard serial modem, it doesn't need any
drivers at all. These things come with a modem.inf file for
the various Win* flavours, but that's not a driver at all. It's
simply a text file containing appropriate AT commands.

Which model did you buy and what did you try to get it working?

Michael

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Alexander Milzo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi!
I'm use U.S.Robotics 56K Faxmodem on Slackware 7.0
It find the modem itself. Don't need any drivers.

Quote:> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
> loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
> have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

> --

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Hypnoti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

model #005686-03.  i couldn't get it to work.  i called there tech
support, and he confirmed it "does need the driver", and my model will
NOT work without the driver.. then he gave me specific models that would
work with linux.

now, don't say what i say is nonsense!

:
: >that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
: >buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
: >instaling the drivers,
:
: [...]
:
: Nonsense. If it is a standard serial modem, it doesn't need any
: drivers at all. These things come with a modem.inf file for
: the various Win* flavours, but that's not a driver at all. It's
: simply a text file containing appropriate AT commands.
:
: Which model did you buy and what did you try to get it working?
:
: Michael
: --

:           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
:     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

--

Post by Grant Edwar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
>>buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
>>instaling the drivers,

>[...]

>Nonsense. If it is a standard serial modem, it doesn't need any
>drivers at all. These things come with a modem.inf file for
>the various Win* flavours, but that's not a driver at all. It's
>simply a text file containing appropriate AT commands.

Its possible that you have to load DSP code into the modem via
the serial port when it starts up.  That would require a
"driver" program even for an external model.

I've seen modems like this that are supported under Linux, but
I'd go for a model with the code in flash given the choice.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ALFRED JARRY! Say
                                  at               something about th' DEATH

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

:> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
:> loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
:> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
:> have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

: I'm use U.S.Robotics 56K Faxmodem on Slackware 7.0
: It find the modem itself. Don't need any drivers.

Amazing really, since no non-usb external modem needs any drivers.
As if this were not the second most well-known fact on planet earth,
immediately after "to get linux to see more than 64M of memory you
sometimes have to add append="mem=127M" to lilo.conf and rerun lilo
...". Please surprise me some more.

Peter

Post by Robert Helle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

  In a message on 19 Aug 2000 07:54:00 GMT, wrote :

H> that was what i thought too, but thing has changed.  i found out by
H> buying this Us Robotic external modem, and it wouldn't run without
H> instaling the drivers, and the drivers are for win95, 98 and nt...had to
H> return it...i checked around and it seems most, if not all, modems these
H> days even external ones need some sort of drivers.

An RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modem *will work*.  *Some* of the
"cheaper" USR modems are strange.  The Couriers (high end) work.
External Sporters work as well, but are cheaper grade.  The US Robotics
(external) 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro works -- costs more than the Sporters,
but cheaper than the Couriers.  Note: the one in front of me has both
RS232 serial (DB25 female) ANS USB connectors.  You would need a driver
for the USB (Linux kernel 2.4.x *might* support this), but you don't
need this -- the RS232 serial works just fine.

Note: *some* RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modems come with
'drivers' for win95, 98, nt, and MacOS.  These 'drivers' are just hacks
to insert special init and dial strings into the dialer software's
database.  Note: as a general rule, the init and dial strings don't
change much from modem to modem, except for special features and some
random optimizations -- it is about 50% 'ego' on the modem makers
part and 50% for ignorant users -- people want to see a menu item
with their modem listed and are feel odd selecting 'Generic Modem' --
*some people* think there is a company called 'Generic' that makes
'Generic Modems' -- a most strange company -- they are listed in
*every* setup program, but nobody has ever seen one of their modems and
they are never at *any* computer store, never show up on eBay or
PriceWatch... They are not really 'drivers' in any sense.  The
documentation should have the info you need to insert the strings into
a Linux dialer or chat or communication program (such as seyon or
minicom) configuration file.   I've used the *same* init strings for a
US Robotics Sportser modem with a US Robotics Courier -- I had things
all setup with a *old* US Robotics Courier HST, then got a Sportser --
just swaped in it and did not do any software config changes.  Then the
Sportser died and I got a US Robotics Courier V.everything and swaped it
in.  I have since fiddled with the settings.  Just as a test, I swaped
in the 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro, again no software config changes.  Worked
just fine.

I guess there are *some* RS232 serial modems that are not Hayes AT
compliant, but are some sort of hybrid 'winmodem' -- a modem with 1/2 a
controller (has the serial port logic, but nothing behind it) -- these
are not truey RS232 serial, Hayes AT command set modems.  Unless:
*exactly* what sort of cable were you using? USB or RS232?

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by M. Buchenried » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>model #005686-03.

This is a standard V.90 external faxmodem.

Quote:>i couldn't get it to work.  i called there tech
>support, and he confirmed it "does need the driver", and my model will
>NOT work without the driver..

Rubbish. Even the USR homepage confirms that this model can be used
in DOS - without any driver; the HW requirements are just for using the
E-commerce software that they're distributing in the bundle.

Quote:>then he gave me specific models that would
>work with linux.
>now, don't say what i say is nonsense!

[...]

A standard serial modem doesn't need any driver. The only serial
modems that DO indeed need drivers were the RIP modems that were
sold some years ago, but these aren't available anymore.

From what I see, this modem should work just fine on any RS-232
compatible port. That's why I asked what you tried to get it
working.

Michael

Post by The Good Doct » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> all these modems require special drivers to run, and most of them can be
> loaded only via windows.  i'm looking for an _external_ modem that is
> either linux (Red Hat 602) compatible or doesn't require drivers.  if you
> have the manufacture and the model number, please let me know.  thanks.

  I use the Creative Labs Modem Blaster DE5620 on both
Windows and Linux boxes with no trouble.

Doc
--
Remove - from address to reply

looking for linux compatible external modem

Post by Hypnoti » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:05:07

it took all the AT commands and responded accordingly.  it dialed, it
even made the connection.  but once the connection established,
communication between the computer and modem stuck.  it displayed "~ >q",
and nothing could be done from there.  even "+++" wouldn't work.
also tested with a DOS box, same result.
that was why i suspected some sort of drivers were needed, so i called
tech support to confirm my suspicion.

:
: >model #005686-03.
:
[...]
: From what I see, this modem should work just fine on any RS-232
: compatible port. That's why I asked what you tried to get it
: working.
:
: Michael
: --

:           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
:     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

1. Are all external modems linux compatible?

I need to get a cheap external modem that'll work with Linux.  From
information I've gathered it seems that all external modems will work with
Linux - but is this true or does anyone know of any external winmodems to be
avoided?
Thanks,
Psyches

hotmail alias: thisispsyches

2. System Administration

3. Linux compatible external modems with remote wakeup

4. Best Java Web Server for apache

5. Is TNC Merz 56K external modem compatible with Linux?

6. pcnfsd setup

7. Looking for a Linux compatible modem

8. Lucent orinoco IP problem

9. external modems: which are compatible with 6.0?

10. looking for external modem driver

11. looking for good external modem