A new front in the war is opening!

Post by Vikins » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

HELP!

I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
Power, but!
1.They're going to charge serious money
2.They're not going to release the source code
Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
corporate vampires!
There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
OUT!!!
Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
money!
If you're like me, and can remember those damn little punch cards, and the days
when TelNet was the new frontier, you know what a sorry state slugs like the
King of Redmond have reduced the computer community to.  They almost
extinguished the free-flow of ideas and code, and now that we're fighting back,
they have the greed to try and litigate us out of existence!
I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.(I can't use them
since I gleefully wiped the Abonination(W95) from my system(I even run PCDOS
instead of the dos that starts with an 'M'))
Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.
Yes, I do believe the monkeys who sat at their consoles and sweated out this
code deserve recognition for their labors.  But does it HAVE to be cash?  And
does anyone believe that the apes who actually DID the work will see any of the
money Microprose wants to suck out of us?
Help me spread the word!  To your e-mailers!  Urge everyone, as I am doing:  Do
NOT buy this bait!
If it was an independent development group that created the game, and were the
ones saying 'Hey, we put ten zillion hours into this and we need to re-stock
our 'fridge before we starve," I wouldn't be writing this, but it's NOT!  It's
just another corporation trying to exploit our desire for quality
entertainment!
(Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,
or whatever)  If you want to be proprietary about code you create to run on a
proprietary OS, that's FINE!  That's free enterprise, and that's the way it
SHOULD be.  However, Linux is, by the express copyright of its creator,
NON-proprietary.
That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

Post by David Hallowel » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
> Power, but!

If you're on about Civilization:Call to Power - it's already out:
http://www.veryComputer.com/'s NOT Microprose
it's Loki.
Quote:> 1.They're going to charge serious money

Don't people normally do this for games?
Quote:> 2.They're not going to release the source code

It's up to them. It's called freedom. They've got as much right not to
release the source code as Linus had to release his.

I prefer Open Source / free software and will always choose the open
source alternative above the proprietry model but some companies are as
yet unwilling to release their source code.

Quote:> Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
> Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
> corporate vampires!

It's Torvalds not Torvald! Many companies are still doubtful about the
ability of open source to make money and that's what businesses are
about to make money - there's nothing evil about that except when
companies exploit their position (e.g microsoft)

Quote:> There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
> OUT!!!

No it wasn't. Linus doesn't even mind binary only kernel modules
(although I do disagree with them)

Quote:> Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
> money!

No Linux is about making a decent operating system that is *useful* to
people. For many people games are the only reason to boot into Windows
at least if the games come over to Linux it's one less proprietry
product (Windows) that people have to buy.

Quote:> If you're like me, and can remember those damn little punch cards, and the days
> when TelNet was the new frontier, you know what a sorry state slugs like the
> King of Redmond have reduced the computer community to.  They almost
> extinguished the free-flow of ideas and code, and now that we're fighting back,
> they have the greed to try and litigate us out of existence!

You don't want to return to them days do you? But yes although MS's
* has been somewhat damaging to the computer industry and the
killing of free flow and ideas you can't blame all proprietry software
for that.

Quote:> I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
> mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.(I can't use them
> since I gleefully wiped the Abonination(W95) from my system(I even run PCDOS
> instead of the dos that starts with an 'M'))

So you actually own some proprietary games then? If you own them when
you used W95 what's the difference. Like I say. A proprietary game on a
free OS is better than proprietary game on a proprietary OS as it's only
one piece of proprietary software you have to buy.

Quote:> Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
> proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.

I think other companies got their first. Before the game makers there
was a lot of other proprietary software out there.

Quote:> Yes, I do believe the monkeys who sat at their consoles and sweated out this
> code deserve recognition for their labors.  But does it HAVE to be cash?  And
> does anyone believe that the apes who actually DID the work will see any of the
> money Microprose wants to suck out of us?

Well John Carmack from idSoftware who makes Quake 3 (for many platforms
including Linux) have donated some cash to some open source project (I
think it was Mesa 3D). So I wouldn't rule it out.

Quote:> Help me spread the word!  To your e-mailers!  Urge everyone, as I am doing:  Do
> NOT buy this bait!

and to you. Don't use AOL ;)

Quote:> If it was an independent development group that created the game, and were the
> ones saying 'Hey, we put ten zillion hours into this and we need to re-stock
> our 'fridge before we starve," I wouldn't be writing this, but it's NOT!  It's
> just another corporation trying to exploit our desire for quality
> entertainment!

Well it's not Microprose it's Loki and they are independent. They
arranged with Activision to be the developers of the game on the Linux
platform. They are a company dedicated to porting popular games to
Linux. If you like their products they deserve your cash.

Quote:> (Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
> opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,
> or whatever)  If you want to be proprietary about code you create to run on a
> proprietary OS, that's FINE!  That's free enterprise, and that's the way it
> SHOULD be.  However, Linux is, by the express copyright of its creator,
> NON-proprietary.

Yes the OS is it doesn't mean the applications should be. e.g. does it
mean because Windows is proprietary you can't write open source
applications for it?

Quote:> That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

Linux is about freedom. They're free to not release their source code
but then again someone else is free to come along and write an open
source clone. If you're so worried shut up and get coding!
--

UKUUG Linux '99 Conference 25-26th June 1999
Info and bookings: http://www.veryComputer.com/

A new front in the war is opening!

Post by Death Knigh » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I thought the * industry was about making money, not about opensource
games.

Post by l.. » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

: Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
: money!

Oh GET A LIFE!
Linux isn't, but the games industry IS.
Good on Microprose for deciding that Linux is big enough now to start
supporting it...

If you don't like it, don't BUY it.
I notice your not slamming Corel or StarDivision for releaseing WordPerfect
8, WordPerfect Office 2000 (coming soon aparently) and StarOffice 5.0 for
Linux... They all cost money for the un-knobbled versions.

|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

A new front in the war is opening!

Post by Karel Janse » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

If this wasn't so badly written and so full of stupid mistakes, I'd never
have noticed the trolling.

At least the length of the post (a lot more than the usual "Linux suxx
bigtime, why don't you leave Mr Gates alone.") shows that somewhere,
someone is getting more and more worried about Linux - which is good.

> HELP!

> I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
> Power, but!
> 1.They're going to charge serious money
> 2.They're not going to release the source code
> Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
> Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
> corporate vampires!
> There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
> OUT!!!
> Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
> money!
> If you're like me, and can remember those damn little punch cards, and the days
> when TelNet was the new frontier, you know what a sorry state slugs like the
> King of Redmond have reduced the computer community to.  They almost
> extinguished the free-flow of ideas and code, and now that we're fighting back,
> they have the greed to try and litigate us out of existence!
> I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
> mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.(I can't use them
> since I gleefully wiped the Abonination(W95) from my system(I even run PCDOS
> instead of the dos that starts with an 'M'))
> Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
> proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.
> Yes, I do believe the monkeys who sat at their consoles and sweated out this
> code deserve recognition for their labors.  But does it HAVE to be cash?  And
> does anyone believe that the apes who actually DID the work will see any of the
> money Microprose wants to suck out of us?
> Help me spread the word!  To your e-mailers!  Urge everyone, as I am doing:  Do
> NOT buy this bait!
> If it was an independent development group that created the game, and were the
> ones saying 'Hey, we put ten zillion hours into this and we need to re-stock
> our 'fridge before we starve," I wouldn't be writing this, but it's NOT!  It's
> just another corporation trying to exploit our desire for quality
> entertainment!
> (Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
> opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,
> or whatever)  If you want to be proprietary about code you create to run on a
> proprietary OS, that's FINE!  That's free enterprise, and that's the way it
> SHOULD be.  However, Linux is, by the express copyright of its creator,
> NON-proprietary.
> That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

Karel Jansens
jansens_at_ibm_dot_net

Having a kid at sixty, that's an accident.
Having a piano fallen on your head, that's just bad luck.

Agent WD40,* Steel

A new front in the war is opening!

Post by Ashley W Campbel » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Shut up.

-Ashley Campbell

Quote:> HELP!

Post by benjamin j snyd » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>HELP!

>I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
>Power, but!
>1.They're going to charge serious money

And?

Quote:>2.They're not going to release the source code

So, that's their right.

Quote:>Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!

No they're not, they're trying to sell a product to a community that has very
few supporting the game market for them.

If Master

Quote:>Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
>corporate vampires!

Linus was not out for cash, linux started as an academic project.  Microprose
(more accurately Loki), is trying to SELL a product, they need to pay their
employees who need to buy things (like the necessities of life).

Quote:>There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
>OUT!!!

Then hell, I guess nobody can use Motif (if this is actually free let me know
where I can get it...I thought you had to pay for it), StarOffice outside of
using it for personal use or school etc,

Quote:>(Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
>opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,

FYI, it's scheisters (it's American slang originating from).

Quote:>That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

By you, dont bother trying to get the rest of us that welcome the support of
game companies to the linux community to get involved in your campaign.

--
Ben Snyder

A new front in the war is opening!

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[Note FollowUp-To: header]

>HELP!
>I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
>Power, but!

Good.

Quote:>1.They're going to charge serious money

Ohmygawd. A company wanting to make money with Linux software !

Quote:>2.They're not going to release the source code

And ? Nor does Applixware, StarOffice, ... (afaik) . Yawn.
Nobody forces you to buy their product, if you don't like their
policies, avoid them.

Quote:>Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
>Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
>corporate vampires!
>There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
>OUT!!!

Rubbish. Please grow up.

Quote:>Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
>money!

The kernel development, no. But there are a lot of people making real
money with Linux apps, development, support etc. . Nobody would be
interested in an OS without any software to be run on it.

Quote:>If you're like me,

I hope not.

[...]

Quote:>I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
>mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.

They'll be deeply impressed, I suppose. Well, do it. Their stuff needs
a good laugh a day.

[...]

Quote:>Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
>proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.

[...]

Reality halted. Abort, Retry, Ignore ?

Michael

Post by Larr » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>> HELP!

>> I recently learned that Microprose is planning a Linux release of Call to
>> Power, but!

Thank God that a major * company is going to start porting games for
Linux. I was on the virge of soiling a harddrive with '*word/95' but
now I may wait the time it takes them to get their porting in gear.

A zillion chears for Microprose.

Quote:>> 1.They're going to charge serious money

Bummer, I thought they were going to charge 'joking' money but that's ok, I
have some of both.

Quote:>> 2.They're not going to release the source code

So?? You wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do with it anyway.
You don't need it.

Quote:>> Hey, get with it!  The corporate slugs are trying to seduce us!  If Master
>> Torvald can give away the magic that makes Linux happens, then so can the
>> corporate vampires!

These people are "in business" that means they need to charge money for
their efforts so they can pay the guys that write those fantastic flight
simulator type games. I have a number of them that run on DOS, they are
great and I will gladly pay them again for ports of the same games to Linux.
Money greases the wheels of virtual reality you know?

Quote:>> There's a reason Master T used the copywrite he did!  To keep the vampires
>> OUT!!!

No it was most likely so the masses could have an excellent OS.
Don't forget "Master T" works for corporate money just like the rest of the
normal world.

Quote:>> Proprietarianism has NO PLACE in the Linux community!  Linux is NOT about
>> money!

No but you're certainly allowed to make money off it.

Quote:>> If you're like me,

Thank God most aren't.

Quote:>> when TelNet was the new frontier, you know what a sorry state slugs like the
>> King of Redmond have reduced the computer community to.  They almost
>> extinguished the free-flow of ideas and code, and now that we're fighting back,
>> they have the greed to try and litigate us out of existence!

BALLS!

Quote:>> I will have nothing to do with Microprose's game, and am seriously considering
>> mailing back all the Microprose products I possess in protest.

Send 'em to me in protest.

Quote:>> Please join me in boycotting this sleazy attempt to establish corporate
>> proprietarianism in the community of Linux Users.

I don't think so, I want Linux games. And I'm willing to pay the 'fair day's
wage for the fair day's work.'

Quote:>> Yes, I do believe the monkeys who sat at their consoles and sweated out this
>> code deserve recognition for their labors.  But does it HAVE to be cash?

Do you work for free? If so, I have a shit load of stuff around the house I
would like you to do for me. I'll even send you the bus ticket to get here
on.

Quote:>> does anyone believe that the apes who actually DID the work will see any of the
>> money Microprose wants to suck out of us?

Yep, Im quite sure they don't work for the joys of labor.

Quote:>> Help me spread the word!  To your e-mailers!  Urge everyone, as I am doing:  Do
>> NOT buy this bait!

Actually, I will spread the word to my Linux compatriots that we are finally
going to be able to PURCHASE good * software for our beloved operating
system. They cast the bait and I'm bitin'.

Quote:>> If it was an independent development group that created the game, and were the
>> ones saying 'Hey, we put ten zillion hours into this and we need to re-stock
>> our 'fridge before we starve," I wouldn't be writing this, but it's NOT!  It's
>> just another corporation trying to exploit our desire for quality
>> entertainment!

What a freaking idiot. You may want to consider the fact that every
corporation is made up of INDIVIDUALS who 'need to restock the fridge'
before they and their families starve.

Quote:>> (Oh, and Microprose, before you send your lawers after ME for voicing my
>> opinion(I'm sure your shysters will call it libel, or slander, or witchcraft,
>> or whatever)

I doubt that they give people like you a second thought. At least I hope
that is the case. I don't want Microprose thinking that the Linux community
is made up of a bunch of blathering idiots.

Quote:>> That means: Keep your greed out!  It's unwanted, unwelcome, and un-Linux!)

Wrong, we do want their service, entertainment and quality software.

Why don't you go away. Please, even find another OS to use. You are an
embarassment to the Linux community.

1. Microsoft Declares Open War on Open Source

http://www.msnbc.com/news/568367.asp

"...unbridled criticism of the so-called 'open source software' movement,
using language more in the spirit of a trash-talking sports star than the
typically ambiguous, jargon-filled phrasings of a software executive."

"...open source programming created software with greater danger of security
risks, product instability, a breakdown of common industry design standards
that could force valuable intellectual property into the public domain."

"...took aim at the GPL - a key part of many open source programs that
rejects traditional copyright in favor of open sharing of any advances made
in software design - likening it to failed dot-com business models of the
past."

2. compiling xrn

3. NT-Unix war is a contiunation of VMS-Unix war (?)

4. malloc, free, fork and C... (Q)

5. "The War between the States" or "The Civil War"?

6. spreadsheets?

7. UNIX Wars! (was: Re: Wanted - DEC WARS)

8. Dmitry Sklyarov article

9. NEWSFLASH: Nuclear War erupts??!! World War 3 begins??!!

10. forget editor wars, how about a SHELL war?

11. Microsoft's Propaganda War Against Linux And Open Source

12. Microsoft Responds Re: Open Letter to Micosoft re: Front Page Exten

13. Front/Open keymap under X11