X Server permissions

Post by fafaforz » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:22:51

Hi just installed XF 4.0.2. Compiled it myself, works great.

But when I try to run Mozilla or Quake2, I get an error that the
connections were refused. Here are the logs.
Mozilla...

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

X11 message in console...
AUDIT: Mon Dec 25 16:07:02 2000: 363 X: client 5 rejected from local
host
Quake2...

Console initialized.

Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
recursive shutdown
Error: VID: Could not open display [:0.0]

X11 message in console...
AUDIT: Mon Dec 25 16:07:02 2000: 363 X: client 5 rejected from local
host

How do I change the connection permissions?

X Server permissions

Post by Dan Whit » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:05:39

> Hi just installed XF 4.0.2. Compiled it myself, works great.

> But when I try to run Mozilla or Quake2, I get an error that the
> connections were refused. Here are the logs.
> Mozilla...

> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: Client is not
> authorized to connect to Server

> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

That usually happens when one user tries to access your display which was
opened by another user, and isn't xfree86 4.0.x specific. One fix is the
allow all local users access to your display. As the user who started X,
type:

xhost +localhost

- Dan White

1. Fatal server error: xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions...

All of a sudden X decides only to run as root

Here's the error and my setup, I'm trying to avoid setting the server
suid root...

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be running with root permissions

/etc/X11/X -> /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper
/usr/X11R6/bin/X -> XF86_SVGA

-rws--s--x    /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper
-rwxr-xr-x    /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA

How does xdm fit into this?  Is that the problem and how to switch
from Xwrapper to xdm?

Thanks for your time.

2. Starting applications

3. server file permissions in thinclient-server software

4. number of files on file system

5. Permission Woes - can't add write permission

6. Installing Debian via wireless LAN

7. Is it possible to have execute permissions without read permissions?

8. How can I calculate how many days ago?

9. How to reset permissions on file with no read permissions

10. Do group permissions always override permissions for other (both more and less restrictive)?

11. file permissions/permission execution

12. Help with ftp server config - 550: Permission Denied (Upload Dirs)

13. You don't have permission to access / on this server