can't "write" to other users: permission denied

can't "write" to other users: permission denied

Post by Jason Chodakowsk » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Where is the file permission set for the TTY's as each user opens one? My
users can't write to each other's terminals.

Any clues would be most appreciated.

Jason Chodakowski

can't "write" to other users: permission denied

Post by Ray Wald » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Where is the file permission set for the TTY's as each user opens one? My
>users can't write to each other's terminals.

>Any clues would be most appreciated.

>Jason Chodakowski

If you're using getty, there is a getty.def file (or something like
that) defined in /etc (see the man page). This file contains the
uid and gid associated with the user's ttys. To allow inter-user
communication, you gotta set a common gid.

Post by Frank Wijna » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>Where is the file permission set for the TTY's as each user opens one? My
>users can't write to each other's terminals.

>Any clues would be most appreciated.

If you look at the tty's (in /dev) you see they are owned by the user using
them and of the group tty (or something)

The only thing you have to do is to make the write program set group id and
of the group tty. Then they can write to each others terminals.
(And the users can turn it on and off by changing pemissions, easily done with
mesg )

Greetings Frank

1. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

Hi,

Some time ago I made a mistake and deleted my /dev directory.  Since
then, I have had to occasionally run the "mknod" command to create a
device here and there.  I did have a directory list of /dev, and I have
used that as a guide for which major and minor node numbers to use, and
which type of file to create.

Anyway, my Exabyte 8200 is /dev/nrst0, which is listed as:

  crw-rw-rw-   1 root     wheel      9, 128 Oct 29 09:30 /dev/nrst0

I am trying to write 2 eof marks after the end of file 0, so that I can
re-write file 1.  The sequence that I use for this on the the same tape
at work (and this works just fine) is:

  1) mt -f /dev/nrst0 asf 1   position after the first eof (after file 0)
  2) mt -f /dev/nrst0 bsf 1   position before the first eof
  3) mt -f /dev/nrst0 weof 2  make it look like file 0 is only file on tape
  4) mt -f /dev/nrst0 bsf 1   position after the first eof

When I try this with linux, the weof command (step 3) results in:

  mt: /dev/nrst0: Permission denied

Is this a problem with the driver, or is there something wrong with my
device definition.  According to the man page, I should be able to do
this under Linux pretty much the same as it works under SunOS.

There is no problem writing to the tape otherwise.

I have Slackware 2.x.

thanks,
tw

2. cron under AFS

4. SWAT refuses connection.

5. ??? "Cannot execute ***: Permission denied" for all users

6. open-source program & trading cards games

7. userdel : "user" is in use, but "user" isn't logged

8. drivers

10. INN on Linux, "Transfer permission denied", FAQ answer doesn't work

11. Can't Post News, get "post failed 480 Transfer permission denied"

12. "write" "to" "flon" commands

13. ftp: "login failed" & rcp: 'Permiision Denied"