Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Post by Seven of Nin » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:28:10

Since the picture will go on the desktop, shouldn't it be called
"desktop paper"?  Just kidding.
Anyway, I've done some searching for cool wallpapers for the background
on the GNOME desktop, but I was not able to find any sites that had a
repository of pictures.  I have Ximian GNOME, if that makes a
difference.
Can someone direct me to a location where a database of cool pictures
for GNOME desktop wallpaper is stored,...

A different question: how do you get the terminal screen to be partially
transparent?

Thanks.

Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Post by Jan Schauma » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:02:17

Quote:> Anyway, I've done some searching for cool wallpapers for the background
> on the GNOME desktop, but I was not able to find any sites that had a
> repository of pictures.

Depends on your windowmanager, but I'm sure if all you want is the
background pic, you can always extract it from any of the themes from:

http://www.themes.org

Quote:> A different question: how do you get the terminal screen to be partially
> transparent?

depends on the terminal - I know Eterm, aterm and rxvt can do that,
others might, too.

Consult the documentation for the terminal of your choice.

-Jan

--
Jan Schaumann <http://www.netmeister.org>

We are Microsoft.  Unix is irrelevant.  Openness is futile.  Prepare
to be assimilated.

Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Post by Jay & Shel » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:15:04

Here is a really good site:
http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/
Also any .gif .jpg will do.
As for partially transparent term window? Dunno!!!
Why would you want to?

--
Registered Linux user #192969

MS-Windows - A Colorful Clown Suit For Dos !

Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Post by DSTP » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:13:20

Go to: www.desktopgirls.com

Very usefull, diverting, realxing, ahhhh!!!

Quote:> Since the picture will go on the desktop, shouldn't it be called

Post by Andrew Puruggan » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:38:46

[ As for partially transparent term window? Dunno!!!
[ Why would you want to?

so that he can still have his background wallpaper showing through, even
if he enlarges that term window. After he spent all that time downloading
the image,the apps should let him see it :-)

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

Where to get GNOME desktop background wallpaper ?

Post by Jay & Shel » Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:56:16

Set the background to what ever you want in a term window. I use Gnome
and have 3 different term windows with 3 different backgrounds!!!

--
Registered Linux user #192969

1. Multiple Kickers Don't Play Well Together (& getting rid of the desktop background)

?Greetings!

I've got two interesting scenarios, and I would really appreciate some
suggestions on how best to make this work. :-)

Setup: iMac, XDarwin, xterm(s), ssh running Aqua; and Solaris 8, xterm,
ssh, running CDE.

1. Is it possible to disable the desktop background in KDE?
        Example: `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host> startkde` performs as
        expected, up to, and including, the desktop background.  Which,
        of course, while running XDarwin in rootless-window mode,
        occupies the foreground (of even my Mac's Desktop!)

        I'd like to keep the desktop if at all possible.  Macs' want to
        align their icons on the right, while KDE wants to align icons
        on the left.  This makes for a nice work environment, but with
        three FreeBSD machines (all running KDE) and a Sparc20 (running
        CDE), and a Mac running Aqua, I'd rather not lose my desktops on
        either the Sparc or Mac. ;-)

2. Is it possible to have two kickers, from two separate hosts, play
nicely with one-another?
        Example: `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host1> startkde` works
        beautifully (except the background as mentioned above).
        However, as soon as I enter `ssh -f -X -C -l <user> <host2>
        startkde` then another kicker is started, and I'm assuming
        through DCOP or some other method, both are fighting each other.

        It's actually quite humorous to watch... system tray icons keep
        getting moved from one kicker to the next, but it's quite
        unusuable.

        This phenomenon I've noticed since KDE 2.0.  Unfortunately, all
        this cross-talk generates an exhorbitant amount of excess
        network traffic as each kicker is trying to communicate with the
        other, and fighting over which one gets dominance.

Thanks in advance.

--
George Ellenburg
www.ellenburg.org

2. port 18000

3. How can I change from GNOME desktop environment to KDE desktop env?

4. mount mac share from freebsd

5. How to change gnome desktop to KDE desktop ?

6. #! with $@ instaed of $*

7. Background wallpaper

8. Minicom please help

9. Linux background / wallpaper?

10. setting background (wallpaper) at command line

11. Help - Newbie Background Wallpaper

12. setting wallpaper/background image in X

13. Background (wallpaper) in X