Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Post by Kevin E Cosgro » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
Unix machine.

So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

Thanks in advance.....

Post by Dirk Geschk » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
> what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
> for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
> Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
> Unix machine.

> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

I personally prefer*but there is a office packet from StarDivision
outthere. For Linux it is just a beta version working for 5 month at

ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/staroffice

This version is free available and a commercial version should come out
next. It is also available for other Unixes and MS.

StarDivision has mentioned that the linux version should still be free
for non-commercial use:

This version is and the final version will be free of charge for
non-commercial use. You have to buy a license for commercial use.

Further information should be at

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Dirk.

Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Post by Grahame M. Kelly - Linux Us » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I would strongly suggest going Applixware 4.3 Office Suite. It has the
nessary import / export filters for interleaf, so you will not lose
all your former work, and it included MS Word 6.0 filters as well,
so if necessary you can still go that way. See www.redhat.com for
more details or even www.applixware.com.

As an old interleaf user, I certainly appreciate Applixware better.
That my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Grahame.

Post by Bob Horva » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
>what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
>for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
>Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
>Unix machine.

>So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
>WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
>on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

>Thanks in advance.....

I have used FrameMaker, which is available on lots of platforms.  The
other one I am familiar with is Applixware.

You are right, if Interleaf is the question, MS Word is not the
answer.

Post by Frank C. Ea » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
>what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
>for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
>Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
>Unix machine.

Ugh....

Quote:>So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
>WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
>on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

Why not Wordperfect/X from Corel?  It's worlds better at doing
documentation work than M$-Word and is cross-platform compatible
(Meaning that if you've got a person with Windows and WP for Windows
on it, they'll be able to read the document as you wrote it.)

--
Frank C. Earl
Earl Consulting Services

Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Post by Brian K. Justic » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I would strongly suggest going Applixware 4.3 Office Suite. It has the
> nessary import / export filters for interleaf, so you will not lose
> all your former work, and it included MS Word 6.0 filters as well,
> so if necessary you can still go that way. See www.redhat.com for
> more details or even www.applixware.com.

> As an old interleaf user, I certainly appreciate Applixware better.
> That my 2 cents worth.

My $0.02 is in total agreement here. All the M$ Word docs I have
brought into Applix have came in near flawlessly. Luckily, I can't
speak for Interleaf.

Brian Justice

Post by Dean Schulz » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

    Applixware from RedHat software is worth a look.  The Corel Java
Office
suite also runs under Linux (and everything else too because it's
Java!).

Dean Schulze

Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Post by Bob Nelso » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
> what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
> for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
> Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
> Unix machine.
> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!
> Thanks in advance.....

Lyx. Perhaps the best of all possible worlds. The power and flexibility
of*in a WYSIWYG wrapper.

                     UNIX...anything else is just a toy
    Support Birmingham channel 33's FREEDOM of choice to NOT air "Ellen"
      (I wholeheartedly agree with their programming decision, BTW)

Interleaf, MS Word, or something better -- PLEASE ??

Post by Victor R. Rivarol » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

As Mr. Earl already pointed out to you in this newsgroup, Corel WP
is an option.  There are a few more:

1)  Applixware       http://www.veryComputer.com/
2)  StarOffice       http://www.veryComputer.com/
3)  LyX +*     http://www.veryComputer.com/~larsbj/lyx.shtml

Plus a few more, which I don't remember right now.

Hope this helps,

Victor R. Rivarola

kevinc>Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
kevinc>what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
kevinc>for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
kevinc>Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
kevinc>Unix machine.
kevinc>
kevinc>So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
kevinc>WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
kevinc>on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!
kevinc>
kevinc>Thanks in advance.....
kevinc>

"A friendly interface that reduces functionality is morally wrong..."

       - Mark Hahn

Post by Supra Limme » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
> what.
(snipped)
> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

Hard-core documentation = Interleaf or Framemaker
Applixware claims to be a worthy replacement for M$ Word;
I have no idea.

Post by Michael Talbot-Wils » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
>> what.
>(snipped)
>> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
>> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
>> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

I'm using the thot editor.  On sunsite and www.w3.org.  Looks good.
If you think "hard-core" documentation means HTML and*output
conversions you'll like it.

Post by RHS Linux Use » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
> what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
> for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
> Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
> Unix machine.

> So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

FrameMaker is nice. The spellchecker is even preconfigured to replace
"Interleaf" with "Framemaker". FM handles large documents, has
features that makes cooperation in the writing process easier,
WYSIWYG, multiplatform (no linux-version, though ...), SGML etc. It's
even easy to use :-).

--
Jon Martin Solaas

Post by Duncan Simps » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>>Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
>>what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
>>for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
>>Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
>>Unix machine.

>>So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
>>WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
>>on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

>>Thanks in advance.....
>I have used FrameMaker, which is available on lots of platforms.  The
>other one I am familiar with is Applixware.
>You are right, if Interleaf is the question, MS Word is not the
>answer.

Let me second that. winword format is NDAed and hard to decode. Use
something less evil, for example wordperfect (no NDA and much better
documented). Looks like OI will have to rework tables again...

Duncan (-:

Post by Rick Forriste » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

> >>Some of us are moving away from Interleaf and on to who knows
> >>what.  The initial suggestion, not mine, is to move to MS Word
> >>for documentation needs.  This solution would involve running
> >>Word over the network on a WinNT machine and from each user's
> >>Unix machine.

> >>So, what would you suggest as an easy to use, yet powerful
> >>WYSIWYG editor suitable for fairly hard-core documentation needs
> >>on a Unix machine.  Surely the answer isn't MS Word -- OH PLEASE!

> >>Thanks in advance.....

> >I have used FrameMaker, which is available on lots of platforms.  The
> >other one I am familiar with is Applixware.

> >You are right, if Interleaf is the question, MS Word is not the
> >answer.

> Let me second that. winword format is NDAed and hard to decode. Use
> something less evil, for example wordperfect (no NDA and much better
> documented). Looks like OI will have to rework tables again...

> Duncan (-:

Having just obtained and installed a copy of Applixware 4.3 I think
you might want to take a look at it.  So far I'm reasonably impressed,
and yes, I have worked with WordPerfect, Word for Windows, Interleaf,
and FrameMaker.

Best!

| Linux:  What do you want tomorrow?                              |

1. Something better than m4? Please?

I've got some large-ish configuration files that cried out, "I need to
be macro-ised!" (needed conditionals, inclusion of separate files,
etc) - and so I pressed m4 into service.  But m4 has irritated me ever
since I learned about it.  It always takes me three of four tries to
get the quotes right.  There's a possibility of arbitrary user input
colliding with macro names.  it's just irritating.

So I was wondering - does anyone know of a better macro processor, for
working with arbitrary text streams?  I don't need more power than m4,
I just want a nicer, easier to read syntax.

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Anyone has lsof working for ATT Sys V Rel 4 MP-RAS?

3. Which Linux word processor should I try that I can compare to MS Word

4. Help with port conflicts

5. Which Linux Word Processor has Best MS Word Emulation?

6. Trouble getting IDE CD-ROM to mount

7. converting MIME application/ms-word to a word document...

8. X-Windows Freezing

9. Something better than xanim

10. iostat -- is there something better?

11. IS THERE SOMETHING BETTER THAN GDB?

12. something better than port forwarding perhaps?

13. Busy wait vs something better