Is e2label 'dangerous' when done on a 'live' file system?

Is e2label 'dangerous' when done on a 'live' file system?

Post by Robert Helle » Tue, 27 May 2003 05:50:14

tune2fs's man page includes a warning:

WARNING
       Never  use  tune2fs  to  change parameters of a read/write
       mounted filesystem!  Use this utility at  your  own  risk.
       You're modifying a filesystem!

*I* understand this warning, since many of the things tune2fs can do to
a file system will likely cause kernel confusion if done to a
read/write mounted file system.  *One* of the things tune2fs is set the
file system's label, which can also be done with e2label.  e2label does
not include the WARNING.  I have a batch of file systems on two SCSI
disk that I want to set labels on and want to know if I need to boot up
a rescue disk or if I can just do this on a running system.  I would
think that e2label would NOT be dangerous on live mounted file systems,
but it is not clear.

(It would be easier & simplier to do it on a live system, since I would
have a set of 'nice' tools to automate the process.)

Post by Michael Heimin » Tue, 27 May 2003 06:11:19

> disk that I want to set labels on and want to know if I need to boot up
> a rescue disk or if I can just do this on a running system.  I would
> think that e2label would NOT be dangerous on live mounted file systems,
> but it is not clear.

One can savely use e2label on a mounted FS.

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

Post by Robert Helle » Tue, 27 May 2003 06:52:47

  In a message on Sun, 25 May 2003 23:11:19 +0200, wrote :

MH> > disk that I want to set labels on and want to know if I need to boot up
MH> > a rescue disk or if I can just do this on a running system.  I would
MH> > think that e2label would NOT be dangerous on live mounted file systems,
MH> > but it is not clear.
MH>
MH> One can savely use e2label on a mounted FS.

Thanks!

MH> --
MH> Michael Heiming
MH>
MH> Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for
MH> inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

1. Problem running 'waisq' in 'chroot' file system

: The obvious answer is that I forgot to include something critical
: within the 'chroot' portion of the file system.  Unfortunately 'waisq'
: doesn't produce any error-messages indicating that it didn't find some
: critical file.  It produces normal-looking output indicating that it
: read the proper files, which contain nothing useful.

Do you build index within chroot too and use local search?
If not, then there are probably test for file existence (ir/irsearch.c)
failed.
--
D.Mishin

2. Q: IP MASQ and NNTP/SMTP

3. 'cat file' but only if 'file' exist

4. experience with AMD5x86-133 or Cyrix-5x86-120 with FreeBSD?

5. Coverting '.so' files to '.o' files

6. wireless bridge with DD-WRT

7. File size of 'tmp' files for 'vi'

8. how to unzip and sh files

9. What's wrong with 'file protocol' or 'http://localhost protocol'?

10. "rm: can't unlink 'files'",can't delete files

11. FTP'ed files default to '-rw-r--r--' i need '-rw-------'

12. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

13. starting off a dos-smtp-''project''