color configuration for color-ready terminals

color configuration for color-ready terminals

Post by mues » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 20:48:37

sorry in advance for my spelling and my desperation:
for 2 weeks exactly i have tried to manage my color-scheme for my
terminal-applications under debian-linux!
i didn't find anything in the web about how to configure the colors ls
uses! i want to change colors for directories for all users and - the
hell - i couldn't figure it out!

maby (hopefully) someone can help me with that!!!

mfg, msli

Post by PoD » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:42:36

> sorry in advance for my spelling and my desperation: for 2 weeks exactly i
> have tried to manage my color-scheme for my terminal-applications under
> debian-linux! i didn't find anything in the web about how to configure the
> colors ls uses! i want to change colors for directories for all users and
> - the hell - i couldn't figure it out!

> maby (hopefully) someone can help me with that!!!

> mfg, msli

Looking at the source of fileutils-4.1, it seems that the colours are built in.
Look at ls.c for static struct bin_str color_indicator[]

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 22 Mar 2003 22:24:18

> sorry in advance for my spelling and my desperation:
> for 2 weeks exactly i have tried to manage my color-scheme for my
> terminal-applications under debian-linux!
> i didn't find anything in the web about how to configure the colors ls
> uses! i want to change colors for directories for all users and - the
> hell - i couldn't figure it out!

With most distro, you just need to edit /etc/DIR_COLORS.
man 5 dir_colors

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM

1. What did I do to lose color in color terminal prgs?

A fresh 3.5.1 install from yesterday, XFree86 3.3.6 working peachy,
decided I wanted color in my xterms.  Grabbed aterm and rxvt, they
worked great.

Then I must have diddled with something and now they don't do
color.  i.e. now programs like vim, lynx, etc display in color
terms as if they were in a regular old xterm w/no color
support.  I've tried removing and reinstalling them; no change.

Transparancy/tinting stuff still works, making funky prompts for
bash produces color, vim/lynx/etc do all their great colors when
run on regular text consoles.

Can anybody throw me a clue on wtf I might have done or what I could
do to undo it?

2. Online updates w/RH

3. Terminal colors: changing the background color only in areas where there is text?

4. PPPoE with a Static IP

5. ncurse says "this terminal does not support color", I am using color xterm!

6. 486SLC wont boot Linux

7. Colors Colors Colors...

8. LINUX and Multispin 6x CD-ROM driver from NEC

9. 15+bit color in X and color?

10. The Colors The Colors (under Red Hat 6.0)

11. FS - 16" Sun Color Monitors - $59.99 - 17" Sun Color Monitors $69.99

12. Color xterm has no color

13. colour (color) ls