Multiple (related?) problems

Post by Mark Ramo » Wed, 10 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I booted up my box and several services wouldn't start.  xfs
complained about not able to open a socket (therefore X can't start),
gpm just dies with no errors, syslog starts but outputs all errors to
console instead of /var/log/messages, and lpd doesn't start.   The
only service with any type of hint is xfs, all others don't output
anything   I tried tracing back to what changes have been made and I
couldn't find anything that seemed of importance.  All key files in
/etc have not been modified since it was working last (i.e.,
syslog.conf, hosts, lilo.conf, etc)  Glancing over the processes
running, nothing but the ones that didn't start *seem* to be running.
I am running RH 6.1 and kernel 2.2.13.  I also tried booting into a
2.2.12 kernel and had the same results.  Any advice is appreciated!

Multiple (related?) problems

Post by Mark Ramo » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 09 Nov 1999 22:15:57 -0800, Mark Ramos

>I booted up my box and several services wouldn't start.  xfs
>complained about not able to open a socket (therefore X can't start),
>gpm just dies with no errors, syslog starts but outputs all errors to
>console instead of /var/log/messages, and lpd doesn't start.   The
>only service with any type of hint is xfs, all others don't output
>anything   I tried tracing back to what changes have been made and I
>couldn't find anything that seemed of importance.  All key files in
>/etc have not been modified since it was working last (i.e.,
>syslog.conf, hosts, lilo.conf, etc)  Glancing over the processes
>running, nothing but the ones that didn't start *seem* to be running.
>I am running RH 6.1 and kernel 2.2.13.  I also tried booting into a
>2.2.12 kernel and had the same results.  Any advice is appreciated!

I figured out the issue and thought it might help anyone else who has
experienced this.  First of all, I must have overlooked conf.modules
in /etc as that was something I modified prior to reboot.  Basically,
I compiled the kernel with UNIX pty support as a module.  Although
this was not *exactly* the issue, as it has been several weeks since I
built the kernel.  But what I overlooked was that when compiling as a
module I needed to add "alias net-pf-1 unix" to the conf.modules.  It
seemed to work without it but with errors.  So one day I decided to
get rid of that damn error *ing about net-pf-1 by adding "alias
net-pf-1 off".  Poof!  that screwed it all up.  After changing the
conf.modules everything is fine now.  But since I got no replies on
this, by email or post, no one must care.  Suprising though, I usually
get plenty of help in this group.  No big deal but I thought I would
pass this on.

Cheers,

Mark

1. iptables woes - may be RELATED related :)

Hi - I've just started using iptables and I'm having trouble.  I
basically want my firewall setup to bar all connections except the ones
coming from my uni, and I had it doing this just fine in ipchains.  Now I
have a wierd problem, where if I telnet into uni and then back out to my
machine, iptables lets the connection thru just fine, but if I'm at uni
and I try to telnet in I get no response.  Here's my
/etc/sysconfig/iptables:

# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.2 on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001
*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [17:708]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [35:2109]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [35:2109]
COMMIT
# Completed on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001
# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.2 on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001
*mangle
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [670:68228]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [738:50393]
COMMIT
# Completed on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001
# Generated by iptables-save v1.2.2 on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [738:50393]
:GLEN - [0:0]
-A INPUT -j GLEN
-A FORWARD -j GLEN
-A GLEN -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --sport 67:68 --dport 67:68 -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -s 203.164.20.10 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -s 203.164.20.11 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -s 129.94.242.0/255.255.255.0 -j ACCEPT
-A GLEN -j DROP
COMMIT
# Completed on Fri Aug 31 12:54:36 2001

The line which is supposed to allow incoming connections from uni is the
second last one in the GLEN chain.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Any help would be really
appreciated.  Also, if you spot any glaring security holes, please let me
know, as I'm really new to firewalling and basically have nfi beyond what
I've tried to glean from a few HOWTO's.

Cheers,
Glen

2. fr problem using glade autoheader 'lklkl' not covered

3. Solution: multiple Apache log files, multiple args to env=, multiple conditions to CustomLog directive

4. UNIX INTERNALS FAQ ???

5. a memory-related problem?

6. need xconfig for ncr7722e

7. ac13 and lp related problem

8. Xfree3.2 & sis6205

9. PROBLEM: 2.4.21 ICH5 SATA related hang during boot

10. Problem related to Xfree86-3.3.2

11. Wierd DOS boot problem --DOSEMU related???

12. NFS related network problem

13. booting problem related to linux network demon