Sun console & stuff

Post by David McWillia » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:01:12

I am running the latest version of Red Hat on my Dell laptop. I would
like to be able to use my laptop as a console for a Sun, via the
serial cable, so I can serve FlashArchives to the same Sun via Apache.
I have messed around with Minicom, not much fun, the problem I am
seeing is that I can't get Red Hat to tell me what com port it thinks
my 9-pin serial is, so configuring Minicom has been no fun, either.

can anyone point me in the right direction,

Thanks in advance,

David

Sun console & stuff

Post by mjt » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:24:10

> I am running the latest version of Red Hat on my Dell laptop. I would
> like to be able to use my laptop as a console for a Sun, via the
> serial cable, so I can serve FlashArchives to the same Sun via Apache.
> I have messed around with Minicom, not much fun, the problem I am
> seeing is that I can't get Red Hat to tell me what com port it thinks
> my 9-pin serial is, so configuring Minicom has been no fun, either.

might try: 'dmesg | grep tty'

Sun console & stuff

Post by Grant Edwar » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:36:01

> I am running the latest version of Red Hat on my Dell laptop. I
> would like to be able to use my laptop as a console for a Sun,
> via the serial cable,

That's simple enough.  I'd recommend using CKermit:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

Quote:> so I can serve FlashArchives to the same Sun via Apache.

You've lost me.  I've no idea what FlashArchives are nor what
apache has to do with using the laptop as a console.

Quote:> I have messed around with Minicom, not much fun,

Agreed.  Minicom isn't fun to use, and I've had various
problems with it (changing port settings doesn't alwasy take
effect, ASCII file transfer doesn't work right).

Quote:> the problem I am seeing is that I can't get Red Hat to tell me
> what com port it thinks my 9-pin serial is, so configuring
> Minicom has been no fun, either.

> can anyone point me in the right direction,

It's almost certainly ttyS0.  Make sure it's enabled as COM1 in
the BIOS using the standard IO and interrupts: 0x03f8, IRQ 4.
If you've got an IR port (and it's enbabled in BIOS), it's
probably COM2 (ttyS1).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was giving HAIR
                                  at               CUTS to th' SAUCER PEOPLE

Sun console & stuff

Post by Ian Northeas » Sat, 28 Sep 2002 04:04:36

> > I am running the latest version of Red Hat on my Dell laptop. I
> > would like to be able to use my laptop as a console for a Sun,
> > via the serial cable,

> That's simple enough.  I'd recommend using CKermit:

>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

> > so I can serve FlashArchives to the same Sun via Apache.

> You've lost me.  I've no idea what FlashArchives are nor what
> apache has to do with using the laptop as a console.

Agreed. The serial console is just that. A plain ASCII text terminal on
a serial interface. I can't imagine what you could do with Apache on
that. I don't know what a FlashArchive is either. Or does this have
nothing to do with the serial console as such? Do you (David) mean you
just want to use the serial console to get a headless Sun working and
this is just what you want to use the Sun for? To do anything involving
Apache you are going to need a network connection, which should be
simple enough as all Suns have a built in ethernet port so there's no
issue with drivers etc.

Quote:> > I have messed around with Minicom, not much fun,

> Agreed.  Minicom isn't fun to use, and I've had various
> problems with it (changing port settings doesn't alwasy take
> effect, ASCII file transfer doesn't work right).

I have found no problem with using Minicom as a Sun serial console. I
havn't tried to do any file transfer over it, I just use it to install
and boot. It isn't even connected a lot of the time, it is shared
between two Suns.

Whatever terminal emulator you use, ensure it is set to 9600 baud, 8
data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control (neither software
nor hardware), unless you have changed the settings in the PROM. And
ensure that you use a *null* modem cable (with the data lines crossed
over). Also ensure no keyboard is plugged in, the Sun uses the absence
of a keyboard to tell it to switch to the serial console, it doesn't
check for a monitor.

Regards, Ian

Sun console & stuff

Post by David McWillia » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 05:27:34

enables you produce a huge image file of a machine build, so that, as
opposed to jumpstart, that reinstalls the OS using pkgadd and then
patches using patchadd, it effectively produces a huge cpio dump that
you can build a new machine from. "man flarcreate" - if anyone is
interested

I would like to be able to boot up a new, headless, machine from
cdrom, viewing messages on my handy-dandy terminal emulator and serve
out the FlashArchive to the Sun via Apache, running on my laptop as
well. This means that I have two connections to the machine, console &
network. I have tried doing this via Windows, using TeraTerm (works
great), and Apache Win32 (sucks), and the whole using Windows thing
always just leaves a rotten taste in my mouth. Linux is the answer,
but Minicom isn't, maybe CKermit, is.....

Cheers,

David

> > > I am running the latest version of Red Hat on my Dell laptop. I
> > > would like to be able to use my laptop as a console for a Sun,
> > > via the serial cable,

> > That's simple enough.  I'd recommend using CKermit:

> >   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html

> > > so I can serve FlashArchives to the same Sun via Apache.

> > You've lost me.  I've no idea what FlashArchives are nor what
> > apache has to do with using the laptop as a console.

> Agreed. The serial console is just that. A plain ASCII text terminal on
> a serial interface. I can't imagine what you could do with Apache on
> that. I don't know what a FlashArchive is either. Or does this have
> nothing to do with the serial console as such? Do you (David) mean you
> just want to use the serial console to get a headless Sun working and
> this is just what you want to use the Sun for? To do anything involving
> Apache you are going to need a network connection, which should be
> simple enough as all Suns have a built in ethernet port so there's no
> issue with drivers etc.

> > > I have messed around with Minicom, not much fun,

> > Agreed.  Minicom isn't fun to use, and I've had various
> > problems with it (changing port settings doesn't alwasy take
> > effect, ASCII file transfer doesn't work right).

> I have found no problem with using Minicom as a Sun serial console. I
> havn't tried to do any file transfer over it, I just use it to install
> and boot. It isn't even connected a lot of the time, it is shared
> between two Suns.

> Whatever terminal emulator you use, ensure it is set to 9600 baud, 8
> data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity and no flow control (neither software
> nor hardware), unless you have changed the settings in the PROM. And
> ensure that you use a *null* modem cable (with the data lines crossed
> over). Also ensure no keyboard is plugged in, the Sun uses the absence
> of a keyboard to tell it to switch to the serial console, it doesn't
> check for a monitor.

> Regards, Ian

1. console & sun sparc server 1000

Hi,

  two questions:

  1.) When I connected my laptop, using kermit, I can connect to all
other servers' such as ss20, ultra 1 and ultra 2, but, I just could not
connect to my Sparcserver 1000.  What may be the problem?  All the
kermit settings are correct.  could it because of anything that I miss?

  2.) behind the server, there are sets of indication leds.  the green
lights indicate CPU, what is the amber light indicating?

  So, to solve the console problem, I connect my server to a monitor &
keyboard, and it did show all the things on the screen.

  3.) Now, can I simply UNPLUG the keyboard & monitor without
interrupting the services (without reboot).

  If possible, please mail my reply.  thanks... and appreciate all