Odd behavior of tar -zxvf

Post by Robert Baue » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

When I run:

    tar -zxvf <file>

from a dialup connection, I get the following error about 40% of the time:

          gunzip: stdout: broken pipe
          tar: child returned exit status 1

The rest of the time it works just fine.  The archive that I'm un-tarring
is ok.  And I have never been able to reproduce the problem when I'm logged
in on a VC.

My system is Slackware 3.1, mostly "out of the box" (I haven't even
recompiled the kernel yet).  Kernel version 2.0.27.  The VC's are using
agetty; the dialup line is running uugetty.  I'm not running X or anything
fancy.

Any brave souls care to venture an idea?  I'd be very thankful.

Robert Bauer

Odd behavior of tar -zxvf

Post by Carlos Jorge G.duar » Thu, 15 May 1997 04:00:00

>When I run:
>    tar -zxvf <file>
>from a dialup connection, I get the following error about 40% of the time:
>          gunzip: stdout: broken pipe
>          tar: child returned exit status 1
>The rest of the time it works just fine.  The archive that I'm un-tarring
>is ok.  And I have never been able to reproduce the problem when I'm logged
>in on a VC.

Actually, try do tar zcf , or tar   zzxf, then control z it, and thenn
bg it, and you might get that same error.

I dont really why it happens, but you can solve in the old and hard way:

        gzip -dc your_file | tar xvf -

:)

>My system is Slackware 3.1, mostly "out of the box" (I haven't even
>recompiled the kernel yet).  Kernel version 2.0.27.  The VC's are using
>agetty; the dialup line is running uugetty.  I'm not running X or anything
>fancy.
>Any brave souls care to venture an idea?  I'd be very thankful.
>Robert Bauer

Odd behavior of tar -zxvf

Post by Louis J. LaBash J » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

|>When I run:
|
|>    tar -zxvf <file>
|
|>from a dialup connection, I get the following error about 40% of the time:
|
|>          gunzip: stdout: broken pipe
|>          tar: child returned exit status 1
|
|>The rest of the time it works just fine.  The archive that I'm un-tarring
|>is ok.  And I have never been able to reproduce the problem when I'm logged
|>in on a VC.
|
|Actually, try do tar zcf , or tar   zzxf, then control z it, and thenn
|bg it, and you might get that same error.
|
|I dont really why it happens, but you can solve in the old and hard way:
|
|       gzip -dc your_file | tar xvf -
|
|:)
|

|>My system is Slackware 3.1, mostly "out of the box" (I haven't even
|>recompiled the kernel yet).  Kernel version 2.0.27.  The VC's are using
|>agetty; the dialup line is running uugetty.  I'm not running X or anything
|>fancy.

Try adding tar's 'i', or 'B' option, see "man tar" for why it works.

Hope this is of some utility.