Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

Post by Frank Pilhof » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:07:23

Quote:>I enjoyed it tremendously since I had a similar experience not too
>long ago.  The difference is I didn't have to pay for my SCO Unix copy
>out of my own pocket ;-)

 Yes, I also know both SCO and Linux. As a part-time job I'm writing
programs for SCO+Ingres. Side note: while Ingres was part of SCO 1.1,
it wasn't part of 3.0, so after upgrading I suddenly couldn't develop
any more -- we first had to buy Ingres, and then still lacked the
Ingres development kit; luckily, I am not responsible for paying
everything;
 But another main problem with SCO is that it is hopelessly *oversized*.
At work, I have a 486DX50 Eisa, with an Eisa SCSI adapter and 16 Megs
memory. And on the empty machine (one user logged in on a shell), the
memory is full and swapspace is used. And you can imagine the flicker
of the HD LED when I'm logging in to the desktop, running the compiler
and have a couple of files in Emacs.
 I have a feeling that I'm beating that performance with my home 386/40,
8Meg, running Linux.
 I'm constantly complaining to my superiors that this SCO box could be
the fastest on our network if we'd add another 16Meg :-)

        Frank

--

 | Darmstaedter Str. 22                     http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/~fp/ |
 | D-63225 Langen, Germany                              RAD Host             |

Post by Ian McCarro » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 21:11:52

>    I just thought I would post a small advocate message for Linux

Good story deleted.

Thanks
          You have just made our minds up for us, we were thinking
 about SCO but not anymore.

PS Anybody have similar advice about PCNFS or generally linking
PC's to a unix machine across a network, replys by email would
be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Post by Bill McCart » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 21:52:27

>   I just thought I would post a small advocate message for Linux after a
>nightmarish situation I had. I usually dont post messages like this as they
>tend to induce flame wars, but who cares. :) Anyway, this is a rather
>lengthy but amuzing story, so sit back and have a laugh at my stupididty.

>  Kristopher Scott Kortright        *        Sojourn Systems Administrator
>  Co-Owner of Sojourn DikuMud as Lloth (Forger) - sojourn.cem.msu.edu 9999

>            "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."

>                                                Friedrich Nietzsche

This was a great post. I laughed like heck reading it - not at the situation
which was/is serious - but the writing - *smack!* wonderful.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT\__Jake Barnes___________________________
use Linux; you'll feel better               | Bill McCarthy         |

Post by Gary Rumb » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 11:19:50

|> >   I just thought I would post a small advocate message for Linux after a
|> >nightmarish situation I had. I usually dont post messages like this as they
|> >tend to induce flame wars, but who cares. :) Anyway, this is a rather
|> >lengthy but amuzing story, so sit back and have a laugh at my stupididty.
|> >
|> >----------------------------------------------------------------------
|> >
|> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> >  Kristopher Scott Kortright        *        Sojourn Systems Administrator
|> >  Co-Owner of Sojourn DikuMud as Lloth (Forger) - sojourn.cem.msu.edu 9999

|> >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> >
|> >            "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger..."
|> >
|> >                                                Friedrich Nietzsche

Anyone save a copy of the original post?  I missed it at our site and I'm trying
desperately to convice my superiors that SCO is a bad idea.  I would appreciate
it if someone could email it to me.

                                    reflect the views of MTI

Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

Post by Brett G Pers » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 05:33:31

Say what you woll about the support for Linux.  Here's my experience
with SCO technical support.

A friend of mine owns a computer repair shop.  He called me one
morning and asked me to look at a cunstomer's Unix box.  Now, this
happned to be an SCO machine.
Said machine had crashed and the filesystem needed to be remade.

"No problem", said I, "do they have a set of backup tapes?"
Yes. they did.  Now, here's the story.

I Come in and first thing I do is try to look at the tapes. This
company had been using this machine for years, had changed owners, so
no one at their office knew a lot about unix.  Just knew enough to
backup the system once in a while.

First problem,( after booting the system - a story in itself) I
couldn't read the tapes. SCO refused to recognize that the media was
valid.

I call SCO tech support and find out that they no longer support that
version of Unix.  They wanted $4,000 to upgrade the system.  They
absolutely refused to help me out. Even though I explained the
situation to them.   It boiled down to "Yes, we know what the problem
is, but you need to upgrade to a newer version before we will tell
you"

The company virtually stopped doing business during the week I was
trying to fix their computer.  Do I hear you saying "mission
critical"?  I thought so.

I eventually installed a set of Linux disks that Pat Volkerding ad
been working on. Yeah, this company is still rnning an early version

Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

Post by Gary Rumb » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 02:56:04

Thanks to all who responded, I have all the copies I need.

                                    reflect the views of MTI

Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

Post by Martian » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 05:02:57

Yep SCO is so Crippled as an OS it isnt funny!

Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Wed, 01 Feb 1995 18:03:41

I struggled with SCO for a year before I replaced it with Linux.
SCO's documentation must have improved tremendously since I
junked it two years ago, if previous articles in this thread
are to be believed.
I think the part that galled me most was SCO's "value added"
MMDF.  As far as I can tell, SCO's "value added" consists of
stripping off the original documentation so you won't know it's
an obsolete version of a free program from a University in the UK.
(MMDF is a complicated mail delivery program.  Use smail
or sendmail+IDA.)  What nerve!
--

1. Thinking about SCO? Think again. :)

The keyboard stuff is a symptom of the standard /bin/sh (which doesn't
support job control it would seem) and mapping intr to ^? by default
happens under Irix too. Go figure.

Well, we paid $10801 (love the 1 on the end guys!) for a 128 /dev/tty
license including TCP/IP (well, it recognises an unused net card at
startup). This EXCLUDES the development system. I had to pay ~$2.5K for the
dual pentium support.

I then spent a few days scouring ftp sites, picked up the whole GCC system
in binary form, added tcsh (a must), gzip and associated stuff. Tried to
install a man page. BZZZZT wrong. No nroff, tbl, pic, eqn at all. And the
actual man page system under SCO is completely bizarre. I couldn't work out
how I would install a preformatted page even if I had one.

I eventually gave up on man pages and went to compile xv. BZZZTT No X
includes or libs. I spose I'll get back to the ftp sites eventually if I
get some time.

And no lpr, lpq, lprm etc. It's lp, lpstat and cancel.  And apropos and man
-k don't exist so you can't find out:-)

It certainly is an impressive OS in certain aspects.  System management is
great. The sysadmsh is a great program. You can't get your hands dirty
(which is a pain at times). But the person who put the word OPEN in the
title needs a sense of humour replacement.

They have, haven't they?

--
[==================================================================]
[ Kevin Lentin                   |___/~\__/~\___/~~~~\__/~\__/~\_| ]

[ Macintrash: 'Just say NO!'     |___/~\__/~\___/~~~~\____/~~\___| ]

2. Network card/device mapping?

3. Thinking of a 3com product? Think Again!

4. LAN with 2 internet access points ?

5. Think your bible is so great? Think again..

6. dfe-530tx+ ethernet card

7. I think I can , I think I can !!

8. How to get Performance/Load Stats??

9. Thinking Microsoft? - think UNIX

10. very basic question - so I think :)

11. I think this is on topic :)

12. I think I clobbered my /dev/lpr device :)

13. Heya, I think you'll find this post funny :)