Why wont my lilo install work?

Post by LEVELIUS & CO A » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 10:36:51

I have a problem with running Win98 and Linux (slackware 7.0) on the same
computer. Even if Ive tried to install LILO several times now, windows
doesnt seem to give a damn, and it gladaly boots directly into this, now
annyoing, windows logotype. I guess windows does something to mbr that lilo
doesnt, but I cant figure out what?

Max Levelius

Why wont my lilo install work?

Post by Hugh Laws » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:00:23

Quote:>I have a problem with running Win98 and Linux (slackware 7.0) on the same
>computer. Even if Ive tried to install LILO several times now, windows
>doesnt seem to give a damn, and it gladaly boots directly into this, now
>annyoing, windows logotype. I guess windows does something to mbr that lilo
>doesnt, but I cant figure out what?

Did you write a lilo.conf file and run /sbin/lilo?

--
Hugh Lawson
Greensboro, North Carolina

Why wont my lilo install work?

Post by Dances With Cro » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:18:54

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 02:36:51 +0100,  LEVELIUS & CO AB staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I have a problem with running Win98 and Linux (slackware 7.0) on the
>same computer. Even if Ive tried to install LILO several times now,
>windows doesnt seem to give a damn, and it gladaly boots directly into
>this, now annyoing, windows logotype. I guess windows does something to
>mbr that lilo doesnt, but I cant figure out what?

Where did you install LILO?  On the MBR, or on the bootsector of the
Linux partition?  If /etc/lilo.conf contains a line like
  boot=/dev/hda
then LILO was installed on the MBR; if there's a number in there, then
LILO was installed on the bootsector of a partition.

If you put LILO on the partition bootsector, then you have to make sure
that particular partition is marked Active (and that no other partition
is marked active.)  Generally, only primary partitions can be marked
active, but cfdisk will let you mark almost any partition as active.
Whether your machine's BIOS will follow cfdisk's instructions is another
story.

If you installed LILO on the MBR and the machine is still booting Doze,
then make sure that "Anti-VIrus Protection" is turned off in the BIOS.
This is a silly feature that makes sure nothing writes to the MBR, and
is useless for Linux users.  If you're using some 3rd-party bootloader
like System COmmander to boot Doze, then that could be the problem.

Post the output of "fdisk -l" and the contents of /etc/lilo.conf if you
can't figure all this out.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

1. Why wont telnet work with ppp ?

I have a very minimal installation of Linux on a laptop, and when I
use it on the ethernet to connect to my Linux server, then telnet back
into the laptop, all works fine.
        However, when I connect through the modem and use ppp,
then try to telnet into the laptop, as root, I do not see any tty
output, but apparently I am indeed logged in since when I type "logout"
I get my local prompt back.

This is so weird.  Can anyone give me some clues as to why this happens ?

PeterJordan

2. 1 * bcXQuYnRw-> wav = x megs of null

3. why wont sym links work w/ftp?

4. What makes M$ so damn scary

5. why wont this command work in a script?

6. pipe() returning same file descriptor

7. Why will this simple program wont work?

8. Oracle for Linux?!

9. Why wont this syslog.conf work?

10. why wont my soundcard work?

11. help, LILO suddenly wont work

12. Redhat 4.2 and LILO floppy wont work

13. Why wont it Install?????