vanishing swap space

Post by Gottardo Zanca » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi to everybody.

I'm experincing a strange behaviour with my Linux installation (1.2.8 on a Pentium 100 with
16M); on this system a perl script is running 24 hours a day: at the startup i've got 20M of
swap space but slowly (more or less 100K a day) the swap space starts going down. When I stop
the perl process the swap space returns to 20M. Does anyone have any explication about this
swap space recduction (the perl version I'm running is the 4.036)?

Thanx a lot to everybody.

vanishing swap space

Post by Andrew Snyd » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Hi to everybody.
>I'm experincing a strange behaviour with my Linux installation (1.2.8 on a Pentium 100 with
>16M); on this system a perl script is running 24 hours a day: at the startup i've got 20M of
>swap space but slowly (more or less 100K a day) the swap space starts going down. When I stop
>the perl process the swap space returns to 20M. Does anyone have any explication about this
>swap space recduction (the perl version I'm running is the 4.036)?
>Thanx a lot to everybody.

You've got a memory leak.  You can try a newer version of perl to see
if it goes away or do some debugging.
Andrew Snyder

char disclaimer[] = {'\0'}; /* I'm on cash net */

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. update rh5.0 to rh5.2

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. Filesystem Corruption - Help!!!

5. Is swap space in SCO only swap space or is it consider virtual memory

6. cluster question

7. Allocated swap space versus used swap space

8. Restoring overwritten ufsdump

9. Linux HardDrive Space Reqs, Swap Space

10. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

11. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)

12. /tmp Swap space running out of space

13. Only 16MB swap space with 30 MB swap file ?