anyone created a softraid?

Post by Marc Wiesenhütte » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:49:44

Hi all,
i have an ide disk with 3 partititions: mounted on /, /swap, /home with
/dev/hde1-3. Now i put another ide disk in my Computer and wanted to
create a softraid for the /home partitition. I compiled a new Kernel
2.2.18 with all raid support and created the same partititions on my new

disk /dev/hdg1-3.
I set up an /etc/raidtab:
raiddev /dev/md0
          raid-level      1
          nr-raid-disks   2
          nr-spare-disks  0
          chunk-size     4
          persistent-superblock 1
          device          /dev/hde3
          raid-disk       0
          device          /dev/hdg3
          raid-disk       1
when i wanted to create the array with mkraid /dev/md0 it told me hde3
was mounted, ok i umounted it, but now it tells me hde3 has an ext2
filesystem and that i should use mkdraid -f. Now i don't know if it will

erase all my data on hde3 or what it does when  i use -f.
My System is a P100, 64MB Ram, 2*40GB and Suse 7.1.
Can anyone help me with setting up this array? and excuse my bad englis,

please.
thanks
Marc

anyone created a softraid?

Post by Joshua Baker-LePai » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:58:11

> when i wanted to create the array with mkraid /dev/md0 it told me hde3
> was mounted, ok i umounted it, but now it tells me hde3 has an ext2
> filesystem and that i should use mkdraid -f. Now i don't know if it will
> erase all my data on hde3 or what it does when  i use -f.
> My System is a P100, 64MB Ram, 2*40GB and Suse 7.1.
> Can anyone help me with setting up this array? and excuse my bad englis,

Yes, it will erase the data.  You need to put the data on hde3 somewhere
else, make the raid, and then put the data on the raid device.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering