linux, X11 linking error with shared libraries

linux, X11 linking error with shared libraries

Post by Joseph Fernan » Thu, 22 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
                Linux X libraries
                =================
        I get the following error message when I try to link on
a Linux machine. I am trying to link a GUI that uses athena widgets
that has calls to the X libraries. It asks for the shared
library 'libc.so.4'. This file exist in /lib directory. I have
tried -L/lib but it does not seem to see it. What are the remedies
I have?
The  command I gave is as follows:

gcc all.o_files -o gui -B/usr/X11R6/lib -lm -lXaw -lXmu  -lXt -lX11

error message I get:

ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'.
gcc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6
make : *** [cg] error 1

1. Question: Inclusion of shared libraries during linking of shared libraries

Hi,

I am compiling a dynamic loadable library (*.so) under Unix (I'm working
under Solaris, but I guess my question applies to other Unix versions also).
This library requires other .so libraries to function. Now there are 2 ways
I can deal with this:

1.    Include the header files of the included library during compilation.
Do _not_ include the included library during linking, or
2.    Include the header files of the included library during compilation,
_and_ include the included library during linking.

Both of these work. When doing ldd on the 1st and the 2nd approach, I can
see that in the 2nd case the included libraries are required.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of either method? What is the preferred
way of doing this?

--
Pieter Winter
C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

2. Free reports

3. Link Error on a Very Large Shared Library

4. Increase screen width, how? Redhat 5.0

5. link static libraries into a shared library

6. HELP! - HP9000 Unix locking terminals and printers

7. Trouble with gdb&Linux using transitive linked shared libraries

8. PPP 2.2.0 problems

9. Static/Shared Library linking using Linux gcc

10. Linux shared library linking problem?

11. link error with X11 and slackware linux

12. error in loading shared libraries: libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object

13. Will strip(debug shared library) == nodebug shared library ?