Anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?

Anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?

Post by Werner G. Chac » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?
Netcom told me that it isn't possible but they have a Unix Shell
account available.  Only problem is that they don't provide that shell
account in my area, only their graphical account (ix.netcom.com).  I
have a knowledgable friend who says it is possible theoretically but
can't give me any details because he hasn't tried it himself.  Any
suggestions would be most appreciated.

Post by William McCart » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?
>Netcom told me that it isn't possible but they have a Unix Shell
>account available.  Only problem is that they don't provide that shell
>account in my area, only their graphical account (ix.netcom.com).  I
>have a knowledgable friend who says it is possible theoretically but
>can't give me any details because he hasn't tried it himself.  Any
>suggestions would be most appreciated.

Yep, this can be done. You need to register with the Netcruiser Windows
software that Netcom provides. Once you get set up, you can use dip
for CSLIP or something else for PPP - both are offered by ix.netcom.com.
I use dip/CSLIP and it works flawlessly - very nice 'cause the local
phone number is the netcruiser accnt and the looooong distance call is
the shell. Good luck!

______________________

||___INU\/            |
|____|  /\___________ |

Post by Amit Chatterje » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>>Does anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?
>>Netcom told me that it isn't possible but they have a Unix Shell
>>account available.  Only problem is that they don't provide that shell
>>account in my area, only their graphical account (ix.netcom.com).  I
>>have a knowledgable friend who says it is possible theoretically but
>>can't give me any details because he hasn't tried it himself.  Any
>>suggestions would be most appreciated.

>Yep, this can be done. You need to register with the Netcruiser Windows
>software that Netcom provides. Once you get set up, you can use dip
>for CSLIP or something else for PPP - both are offered by ix.netcom.com.
>I use dip/CSLIP and it works flawlessly - very nice 'cause the local
>phone number is the netcruiser accnt and the looooong distance call is
>the shell. Good luck!

I have a document which explains howto connect to Netcom's graphical using

above address) and I will send you the information. I haven't tried PPP with
Netcom but CSLIP works quite well. There is no point discussing this stuff with
Netcom sales/support people. Most of them havent heard of Linux and even if
they have, they will not offcially help you out - it is their policy.
Basically, they want you to be stuck with their lousy Netcruiser software
(which crashes atleast once every hour) and Windoze.

Amit Chatterjee

All opinions are mine, not NORTEL's.
****************************************************************************/

Post by Ludio Nieve » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?
> Netcom told me that it isn't possible but they have a Unix Shell
> account available.  Only problem is that they don't provide that shell
> account in my area, only their graphical account (ix.netcom.com).  I
> have a knowledgable friend who says it is possible theoretically but
> can't give me any details because he hasn't tried it himself.  Any
> suggestions would be most appreciated.

I currently use Netcom for my Internet feed. Here's how I got my Linux
machine to connect using PPP:

        1) Make sure your kernel was compiled with PPP and IP Forwarding
enabled.

        2) If you haven't done so already, install the latest PPP package.

        3) Create a shell script called Netcom (or whatever you want) with the
following in it:

                pppd /dev/cua1 19200 connect 'chat -v "" ATDT2340524 CONNECT "" \
                "ogin:--ogin:" \#your_login "word:" your_password' noipdefault crtscts
modem \
                ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote defaultroute

        4) Make the above script executable by running chmod.

        5) Add the address(es) to the name server(s) to your /etc/resolv.conf
file. Netcom can supply you with these.

        6) Run this script as root (I haven't changed the permissions yet) and
listen to your modem for a connection. Once a connection is made, you
can tail /var/log/messages to see the IP address assigned to you. From
that point on, you should be able to ping, telnet, ftp, whatever.

        Of course, you need to put in your own local Netcom phone number and
your own username and password in the above script. Also make sure that
you change /dev/cua1 if your modem is not set up as COM2 (sorry for the
DOS-speak folks!)

        Netcom requires a hash mark ("#") in front of the login name in order
to recognize your call as a PPP connection, not a shell account. You
need to use a backslash ("\") in front of the hash mark as an escape
character so that the shell script will pass it along.

I've figured this out by trial and error and I don't pretend to
understand all of the details. I'm sure that someone else would be able
to point out errors or make corrections to what I've written here. Good
luck!

                                                                -- Ludio Nieves --

Anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?

Post by Sam - Email suppo » Fri, 04 Oct 1996 04:00:00

This message is both mailed and posted.

Quote:>Does anyone know how to connect Linux to Netcom's ix.netcom.com?

Although Netcom does not give technical support with connecting a Linux
box to an ix.netcom.com account, many people have successfully done this.

We have a web page that gives step by step directions:

    http://www.netcom.com/bin/webtech/NETCOMplete/NetCruiser2.x/

Click on "Linux", which is directly underneath "Operating_Systems".

These directions were written with a Slackware 3.0 distribution in mind.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Quote:>Netcom told me that it isn't possible but they have a Unix Shell
>account available.

More accurately, we don't give technical assistance for people trying
to connect to a NetCruiser account via Linux.  If the directions on the
above web page don't work with your Linux distribution, you are on your
own.

--
Any opinions expressed herein are strictly my own opinions.

1. Connecting to ix.netcom.com?

They not only say they don't support Linux, they prove it: the only
relevant file they've got on their website is AFAICS bloody useless.
Has anybody gotten that that "chat-netcom" script -- or any other --
to work? Any workarounds we can try, or _must_ he switch ISPs?

I've got my linux-newbie friend's Slackware all installed but my new
guru status is seriously jeopardized already over this.

Please help! By email is preferred, but I'll check back here.

David

--
"The moral high ground in a swamp is still swamp."  --D. Craig

2. screensaver - does it work?

3. Netcom: Has anyone been successful connecting to the net through Netcom

4. Netstat says open, nmap says closed

5. connect to ix.netcom anyone?

6. No bootparam (whoami)

7. In article day@AT&T.worldnet.att.net, chas.day@ix.netcom.com writes:

8. What currently doesn't work on the new ibook2001 ?

9. PPP and Netcom 'ix' accounts?

10. dip script needed for netcom ix account

11. Is SLiRP the best way to connect to netcom's shell ?

12. Anyone SLIP'ing to NETCOM account?

13. ftp.netcom.com /pub/Linux going away