pop3 account

Post by FooS » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:34:04

I want to provide some users who can use pop3 accounts but they can't use
telnet and ftp and anything except pop3.
The situation is there exists some users who can use telnet and ftp in the
system. So there is a mix of different users in the system. I think I will
use qmail instead of sendmail. I want to know which solution(easy to
setup,manage,secure) is the best to handle these users.

thanks

pop3 account

Post by Edwin Johns » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:03:12

I've been experimenting with just this on a small LAN in the office. If you
use qmail it generally stores messages in the Unix mailbox fashion, hence all
messages in a single file called Mailbox, or whatever. There is an option to
use the maildir approach where each is stored as a separate file in a
directory. In addition there is a small qmail program which may be called
before Pine, for instance, and transfers the messages from the maildir to a
mailbox file, thus providing compatiblity in both respects.

If you set up the pop3 server, the users can telnet in and use the mail
client, such as Pine, and retrieve their mail. But they can also use pop3
and get it without having to telnet. This will work for Windows(ugg!) boxes
as well as other Linux users whose mail clients use the maildir format, the
mail being sent from the maildir.

Hope this isn't too contorted, but qmail will handle what you wish to do.
I could discuss what I have done further off channel if you wish.

...Edwin

>I want to provide some users who can use pop3 accounts but they can't use
>telnet and ftp and anything except pop3.
>The situation is there exists some users who can use telnet and ftp in the
>system. So there is a mix of different users in the system. I think I will
>use qmail instead of sendmail. I want to know which solution(easy to
>setup,manage,secure) is the best to handle these users.

>thanks

~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

pop3 account

Post by Michael Heimin » Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:39:02

> I want to provide some users who can use pop3 accounts but they can't use
> telnet and ftp and anything except pop3.
> The situation is there exists some users who can use telnet and ftp in the
> system. So there is a mix of different users in the system. I think I will
> use qmail instead of sendmail. I want to know which solution(easy to
> setup,manage,secure) is the best to handle these users.

> thanks

Set those users shell to /bin/false and put them in /etc/ftpusers.

Michael Heiming

1. pop3 server with webinterface to manage pop3 accounts

Hi

I'm using debian woody and am looking for an pop3 mail server, with a
webinterface, where a user could manage the email accounts over a browser
(add new email accoutns, change passwort, delete them.. and so on). I
installed the courier pop3-server because i thought the webadmin interface
would be something like that.. but unfortunately it wasn't ;(
Does anybody have a suggestion of a server, which supports that?

thanks

Ronney

2. What happened to patch-1.3.65?

3. Email and Pop3 accounts

4. Advisory Lock File Standard

5. newbie - pop3 accounts

6. FREEBSD 4.1

7. POP3 account management

8. Need Good Times advisory doc

9. comparing dates/fetching just new mail on pop3 account

10. POP3 Accounts without /etc/passwd entry

11. Dial ups during connecting pop3 accounts

12. Collecting POP3 accounts into cyrus

13. E-Mail Client with Support for multiple POP3-accounts