Installing Linux on OS/2 Warp system with Boot Manager

Installing Linux on OS/2 Warp system with Boot Manager

Post by bampo.. » Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I run OS/2 Warp with HPFS and WFW3.11 on my Micron P90PCI Powerstation.  I am
acquiring a new 1.2 gig drive, and would like to install Linux(I have just purchased
the Yggdrasil Plug & Play Linux package).  I want to be able to load Linux from Boot
Manager.  This morning, I tried to install Linux on a computer at work which is
running Warp Server Beta II and the Linux partition was created ok, but wouldn't
boot.  BM gave the message that the partition was unbootable.

Anyway, if anyone has had experience installing Linux on an OS/2 system or knows
of a FAQ, I'd appreciate hearing.

Thanks,

Brian

Post by Myron Uecke » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> bampolsk>  Hi, I run OS/2 Warp with HPFS and WFW3.11 on my Micron
> bampolsk> P90PCI Powerstation. I am acquiring a new 1.2 gig drive,
> bampolsk> and would like to install Linux(I have just purchased the
> bampolsk> Yggdrasil Plug & Play Linux package). I want to be able to
> bampolsk> load Linux from Boot Manager. This morning, I tried to
> bampolsk> install Linux on a computer at work which is running Warp
> bampolsk> Server Beta II and the Linux partition was created ok, but
> bampolsk> wouldn't boot. BM gave the message that the partition was
> bampolsk> unbootable.
> bampolsk>
> bampolsk> Anyway, if anyone has had experience installing Linux on an
> bampolsk> OS/2 system or knows of a FAQ, I'd appreciate hearing.
> bampolsk>
> bampolsk> Thanks,
> bampolsk>
> bampolsk> Brian

>Just use lilo to setup the partition for the boot manager. The detail
>are in the Linux FAQ. I'm sure they have to be on that cdrom package
>for Linux. Note Lilo should write the information to the Linux
>partition NOT to the drive's boot sector!

    I found that you need to set up the partition using OS/2's fdisk, then
format the partition with FAT, then use Linux fdisk to change the partition
to type 83.  After that, OS/2 will recognize it.

    Another note is that OS/2 doesn't like booting a partition that is past the
~500 Meg mark.  It is a limitation of the hardware (at least my hardware), but
might have been fixed with the newer controllers.

Myron.

Post by Alan P. Kennedy, Sr » Mon, 01 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Good Luck,

Alan

--
Alan P. Kennedy, Sr.

1. Help Installing Redhat 5.2, NT4.0, and OS/2 Warp using Boot Manager?

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased Red Hat Linux 5.2 (came with the book "Red Hat Linux
Unleashed", and would like to use OS/2's Boot Manager to boot the following
Operating systems if possible.

NT 4.0 Workstation
Windows 2000 Professional (Beta 3)
OS/2 Warp V4
Red Hat Linux

Does anyone know if this is possible?  If not, is it possible that LILO can
allow me to boot all of the above operating systems?

Any FAQ or website information would be most appreciated.

TIA,
Jim Davie

2. Middle mouse button not working with XFree86-3.2

3. red hat linux 4.1 with os/2 warp 4 and boot manager

4. Pereos Tape Backup - Ultraportable

5. Linux with OS/2 warp boot manager

6. How to determine if a script (perl) was called from a CRON job or commandline

7. LILO as secondary loader to OS/2 Warp Boot Manager?

8. ttyS00 & ttyS0

9. OS/2 Warp Boot Manager & Logical Partitions

10. Solaris and Win 95 on the same system booting using OS/2 boot manager

11. Linux install using OS/2 Boot Manager

12. Warp, Boot Manager & Linux

13. How can i use OS/2 Boot Manager for OS/2 & Linux???