Thread Scheduling Priorities

Post by timbo.. » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I hope this is the right newsgroup, I couldn't find a linux.programmer
group - apologies if this is sent to the wrong place.

I am currently porting a proprietary threading system my company uses
to Linux by converting our functions to call appropriate combinations
of LinuxThreads functions.

I have completed the work with one exception: thread priorities.
Our system supports 7 priorities (From Tortoise to Realtime) - however
even a priority realtime thread cannot completely lock up a lower
priority thread, and it certainly should not be able to lock up other
processes.

It would be desirable for the program not to need to be run with
superuser priveledges as well.

Effectively I need to be able to set priorities for SCHED_OTHER
threads - currently I can only do it by changing to SCHED_FIFO or
SCHED_RR, both of which have a far more drastic effect than is required.

Does anyone know of a way I can do this, I am using TurboLinux 6.0
(Based on Red Hat 6.0) and LinuxThreads.

Thanks,
   Tim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.