How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

Post by DoReM » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am a fresh-man of Linux.
How do I connect to ISP that I am using RedHat Linux 5.1?

DoReMe

How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

Post by Mark » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I'm fresh as well. Well, I'm not feeling so fresh anymore. Not after
struggling with this for three days... but I couldn't tell you what I've
done since I've somehow managed to lose all the notes files I created with
VI....grrrr.......
In any event. Go to Linux's site. Go through the support docs. There is a
section on PPP setup. If you get it working..let me know. I've set it up
five times, and all it does is make my external modem flash once when I try
and activate it...
minicom WILL dial out...I've set that up as well, but I get prompted every
90seconds for my info from my ISP...no good..... and once I do get Netscape
up and running it doesn't seem to be able to find my nameserver entries for
my ISP which I put write there in the control panel network
setup...Grrrrrr......and Netscape mail setup won't let me put any ISP
specific info in the boxes....says..  " (info)-sprynet.com"   not  a
recognized server".....grrrrr....
coffee...I need more coffee......

>I am a fresh-man of Linux.
>How do I connect to ISP that I am using RedHat Linux 5.1?

>DoReMe

How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

Post by IBM Custom » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

says...
> I'm fresh as well. Well, I'm not feeling so fresh anymore. Not after
> struggling with this for three days... but I couldn't tell you what I've
> done since I've somehow managed to lose all the notes files I created with
> VI....grrrr.......
> In any event. Go to Linux's site. Go through the support docs. There is a
> section on PPP setup. If you get it working..let me know. I've set it up
> five times, and all it does is make my external modem flash once when I try
> and activate it...
> minicom WILL dial out...I've set that up as well, but I get prompted every
> 90seconds for my info from my ISP...no good..... and once I do get Netscape
> up and running it doesn't seem to be able to find my nameserver entries for
> my ISP which I put write there in the control panel network
> setup...Grrrrrr......and Netscape mail setup won't let me put any ISP
> specific info in the boxes....says..  " (info)-sprynet.com"   not  a
> recognized server".....grrrrr....
> coffee...I need more coffee......

> >I am a fresh-man of Linux.
> >How do I connect to ISP that I am using RedHat Linux 5.1?

> >DoReMe

I highly recommend using the XISP program.  There are rpm's available in
the REDHAT contrib directory and it works great.  Setup is pretty easy
and I use it every day.  Please note you can also setup your PPP
connection using the control panel applet (login as root to get it).  The
REDHAT installation manual details how to setup PPP.  If you need more
help, just write me directly.

                                                Bernie Borenstein

How can I connect ISP via PPP ?

Post by Marie-Franc » Tue, 14 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

Try xisp, it's a graphical interface to PPP and it's very easy to set it up.
You won't have to struggle at all!

If you have more questions you can email me directly!