Can't boot or run fsck; linux 2.0.8

Post by Erik Selber » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Here's a wacky problem for the linux wizards:

I've been unable to boot linux for a while now. It boots fine until it
puts the boot partition (/dev/sda1) into read-only mode. EXT-f2 then
gives a warning about an i-node with a zero bit or something (I
apologize for not being exact; I'm naturally typing this from work
where I forgot the error message).

Anyway, the problem seems to be that I need to run fsck on the system.

However, when I boot using my bootdisks (Slackware 3.0.0), I don't
have fsck or e2fsck. I am able to mount the msdos partition and the
main partition (and read most things from it!). So, I ftp'd fsck and
e2fsck, stuck em in my dos partition, and thought I was off to the
races.

Nope.

I get the following errors:

# /dos/e2fsck
/dos/e2fsck: Not found.
# /dos/fsck
/dos/fsck: Not found.
# cp /dos/fsck /tmp
# /tmp/fsck
fsck: Not found.

I've been totally unable to run these programs, even though they
appear to come through just fine (the permissions are exact as when I
transferred them, and there isn't an endian change).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Erik
--
                                Erik Selberg

 from my friends."         http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/selberg

Post by Tom Fawcet » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> However, when I boot using my bootdisks (Slackware 3.0.0), I don't
> have fsck or e2fsck. I am able to mount the msdos partition and the
> main partition (and read most things from it!). So, I ftp'd fsck and
> e2fsck, stuck em in my dos partition, and thought I was off to the
> races.

> Nope.

> I get the following errors:

> # /dos/e2fsck
> /dos/e2fsck: Not found.
> # /dos/fsck
> /dos/fsck: Not found.
> # cp /dos/fsck /tmp
> # /tmp/fsck
> fsck: Not found.

> I've been totally unable to run these programs, even though they
> appear to come through just fine (the permissions are exact as when I
> transferred them, and there isn't an endian change).

> Any ideas?

You didn't get static binaries, and your boot disk doesn't have the right
loader for them?   You mounted dos 'noexec' ?

-Tom

Post by Patrick Leu » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: > However, when I boot using my bootdisks (Slackware 3.0.0), I don't
: > have fsck or e2fsck. I am able to mount the msdos partition and the
: > main partition (and read most things from it!). So, I ftp'd fsck and
: > e2fsck, stuck em in my dos partition, and thought I was off to the
: > races.

Goto a Linux distribution ftp site.
Then, cd into /ftp/pub/Linux/slackware/rootdsks
and grab the rescue disk, "rescue.gz"

This is included in Slakware 3.1 distributions, but not in 3.0

Quote:>rescue.gz:  This is a rootdisk with an editor (vi), lilo, e2fsck, and other
>utilities.  It's useful for getting into your machine if you ever get locked
>out due to improper lilo installation or some other misconfiguration.

Then do what you wana do ;-))

hope this helps,
Patrick

1. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

With the file system check during boot, get a report:
   *** An error occurred during the file system check
   ***   (blah, blah...)

From the shell, ran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions.
The root partition had a couple of problems which fsck
supposedly fixed. (No critical files were affected, it
seems.  Interestingly, the affected files were ones I
had copied over from a DOS partition using automatic
CRLF-LF conversion.)  Rebooted, but got the same error
as before.  Reran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions
again, all were reported as OK.  I only checked the
ext2 partitions, although there are a few non-Linux
partitions (FAT, HPFS, etc.); I assume fsck ignores
those, so even if they had a problem (I don't think
they do) that wouldn't seem to be an issue.

What is going on here?  I assume it is e2fsck that is
detecting the problem and returning an error code during
boot, so why doesn't it identify a problem when I run it
from the shell?  More urgently, how can I repair the
problem so I can boot Linux again?

(Yes, in case anyone is wondering, I ALWAYS do a normal
shutdown.  I am well aware how disastrous it can be to
power off the machine without shutting down first.)

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated, since a
reformat/reinstall does not especially appeal to me...

Regards,
Marty

2. mbox10j7 site wanted

3. FSCK.MSDOS -- Linux won't boot

4. BitKeeper license problems?

5. can't boot linux - fsck problems => yes but ...

6. qt

7. Linux 0.99.14 fsck's on EVERY boot

8. sendmail.mx in patch 102980-07

9. can't boot linux - fsck problems

10. HELP: Fsck problem: Can't boot linux!!!

11. HELP: Can't boot, fsck doesn't fix HD

12. Making Boot Disk with 'fsck' on it?

13. Mandrake: Always running fsck on boot