Gimp: Compiling jpeg plug-in

Post by Ross Vandegrif » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[big ass snip]

The missing symbols you quote indicate that you jpeg library is not
installed properly.  Make sure you did a make install after compiling it
all.  Also make sure that the path to it is included in /etc/ld.so.conf
or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Also, make sure you compiled libjpeg as a shared
library, and that all the headers are there.
--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

"Man, I've been working in a retirement home WAY too long."
        --Todd Presson

Gimp: Compiling jpeg plug-in

Post by John Carrol » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

A few weeks back I downloaded the Gimp and assorted other files I needed
to compile it.  No problem.  Compiled nicely, worked fine (to the extent
I understand it).  But it wasn't able to handle jpegs.  Not surprising,
since I didn't have libjpeg.  So I got libjpeg, compiled it without
problems, ran ldconfig, and recompiled the Gimp.  Still no jpeg plug-in.
I went to the ~/plug-in/jpeg directory and typed "make" to see what
happened.  Not much.  It couldn't find some ".h" files.  I found those
and moved them into the path the compiler was searching, got more
messages about missing files, moved them, too, and eventually got a
jpeg.o file.  However, that was as far as I could get.  The error
messages all read something like: undefined reference to
jpeg_destroy_compress, undefined reference to jpeg_std_error,
undefined reference to jpeg_CreateCompress, undefined reference to
jpeg_stdio_dest and on and on.  These things must be defined somewhere,
but I don't have a clue where.

Also, I might as well mention that during the ./configure step, I see
messages that it can't find a working aclocal or autoconf or automake.
(There is an aclocal directory containing files gimp.m4 and gtk.m4)

Obviously, I've no clue about C programming and am currently out of
ideas.  Anybody got an idea what stands between my system and a working
jpeg plug-in?

Thanks in advance.

John Carroll

1. Gimp 0.60 and plug-ins...

I just compiled the Gimp 0.60, (which worked fine, except it had trouble
linking in the termcap library.  When I removed the -ltermcap, it compiled
just fine, no linker warnings/errors.  Other than that, a totally vanilla
install), and I can't get the plug-ins to work.

I can't find anywhere which lists the new pluginrc file format, and the gimp
just gives me an error something like "Querying add.."  and sits there.

Is there a sample pluginrc someone could send me/point me to?  Am I being
cursed for not linking in termcap?  (I don't think so, on this one.)  At any
rate, any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

- Peter

--

| Stolen from: Peter J. Vessenes, Box 4294 Brown University, Pr. RI 02912      |
| finger for pgpkey (Do not be mistaken. This is not your father's server.)    |

2. OS free PC's - could this be a Linux boost?

3. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

4. Another Linux "Oopsie"!

5. Can't compile jpeg/png for GIMP

6. notebook computrs

7. gimp 0.54 and plug-in problem

8. How to change pre-login banner???

9. GIMP plug-in

10. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

11. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

12. plug-ins netscape

13. Reward for NExS Spreadsheet Plug-Ins