Weird Lilo error (was Re: can't install 2.2.19 kernel)

Post by Lucius Chiaravigl » Sun, 03 Jun 2001 14:14:43

>ok, I downloaded the source code, 2.2.19 put it into

>/usr/src/linux

>cd /usr/src/linux

>make mrproper
>make xconfig
>make dep
>make clean
>make bzImage
>make modules
>make modules_install
>cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz

>up to this point everything works

>then I do lilo

>and I get this error:

>bash-2.04# lilo
>Fatal: Map segment is too big.
>[. . .]

        I don't know how to solve your problem, but I have seen the same (or
almost the same) error message from Lilo when trying to run it under Tom's
Root Boot Disk (I forget the version number, but it was a May 2001 release).
This error occurs despite having a 125 Mbyte /boot partition as /dev/hda1,
and occurs with both the version of Lilo supplied on Tom's Root Boot Disk and
that supplied with Red Hat Linux 7.0.  This error goes away if I run Lilo
under either Red Hat Linux 7.0 or the rescue mode of its installation CD.
Bizarre . . .  anyone know what this error means, or a more intelligent way
to fix it?

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio

To get the exact address:                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Replace indicated characters with common 4-letter word meaning the same thing
and remove underscores (Spambots of Doom, take that!).

Post by Dave Uhrin » Mon, 04 Jun 2001 09:39:10

>>ok, I downloaded the source code, 2.2.19 put it into

>>/usr/src/linux

>>cd /usr/src/linux

>>make mrproper
>>make xconfig
>>make dep
>>make clean
>>make bzImage
>>make modules
>>make modules_install
>>cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz

>>up to this point everything works

>>then I do lilo

>>and I get this error:

>>bash-2.04# lilo
>>Fatal: Map segment is too big.
>>[. . .]

> I don't know how to solve your problem, but I have seen the same (or
> almost the same) error message from Lilo when trying to run it under Tom's
> Root Boot Disk (I forget the version number, but it was a May 2001
> release). This error occurs despite having a 125 Mbyte /boot partition as
> /dev/hda1, and occurs with both the version of Lilo supplied on Tom's Root
> Boot Disk and
> that supplied with Red Hat Linux 7.0.  This error goes away if I run Lilo
> under either Red Hat Linux 7.0 or the rescue mode of its installation CD.
> Bizarre . . .  anyone know what this error means, or a more intelligent
> way to fix it?

# cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map