RARPD for Linux

Post by Mahabub Al » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

I need to run RARP daemon on my linux box. But I don't know how. Does
linux has RARP daemon. If not where can I get it and how can I install it?
any help will be greatly appreciated.

I need to provide an IP address to a JetDirect card installed in a HP
laserjet 4M Plus. It has the ability to get an IP address from RARP
protocol. Thanks

Mahabub

RARPD for Linux

Post by Al Longye » Sat, 15 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I need to run RARP daemon on my linux box. But I don't know how. Does
>linux has RARP daemon. If not where can I get it and how can I install it?
>any help will be greatly appreciated.

Linux 'needs no stinkin rarpd' :) (To permute a line from "Sierra Madre".)

Quote:>I need to provide an IP address to a JetDirect card installed in a HP
>laserjet 4M Plus. It has the ability to get an IP address from RARP
>protocol. Thanks

If you want RARP support in linux, do the following:

1. Compile the kernel with support for RARP. It is one of the
   options. All of the 'standard' kernels built for slackware do not have
   it.

2. Use the rarp program which is part of the 'net-tools' package to
   load the rarp table in the kernel. You will find the net-tools on
   sunacm.swan.ac.uk or on the mirror on sunsite.unc.edu (which is
   mirrored in numerous places around the world.)

That's it. Linux will now respond to RARP requests.

Do be careful about responding to RARP for Sun workstations. If you do
respond to those, the Sun will expect you to be another Sun and have
all of the boot files that it needs. I know that you mentioned
JetDirect and not Sun, but it is a good warning to anyone who is
considering RARP.

--

1. Rarpd for Linux?

Does anyone know of the where-abouts of a RARPD for Linux??
I've checked sunsite, tsx-11, etc, and I can't find one
pre-compiled. Nor have I had any success in compiling one which
I found using archie :-(

Jon.
--

  \\ DISCLAIMER: All opinions my own, & nowt to do with my employer \

2. long passwords

3. Rarpd from linux - how

4. Get Past Back Office NT Proxie ???

5. Need rarpd for Linux

6. Temperature Monitoring tools

7. rarpd with Linux

8. Zmodem?

9. RARPD for Linux v1.2++ binaries + Source. WHERE??

10. RARPD FOR LINUX

11. Linux/Sun RARPD

12. Booting diskless from Linux (rarpd)

13. rarpd under Redhat Linux 5.1