Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Frank J. Schmuc » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not see
it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have two
installs.

1. what is the best way to install such programs and
2. what should I do about the duplication?

thanks
Frank

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Andreas Kahar » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
> However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not
see
> it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have
two
> installs.

> 1. what is the best way to install such programs and
> 2. what should I do about the duplication?

> thanks
> Frank

I have never installed StarOffice (what's wring with Emacs?) so I can't
answer those questions, but...

You can install most kinds of programs as a user, but you may only
install them in directories in which you have write access (almost
always only under $HOME). If 10 users installs StarOffice in their
$HOME, then you will have 10 copies of StarOffice on the drive.

As root you have write access in all directories on the whole drive, so
you may install a system wide copy of any program (usually in the
"/usr/local/" hierarchy if the program is not part of the standard
distribution). If you install a system wide copy of StarOffice then all
users may use it and you won't need one installation per user (please
note that I don't know if this is how StarOffice installs are suppose to
be done, but it sounds resonable).

/A

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://hello.to/andkaha/>.
# All junk email is reported to the appropriate authorities.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by J Bla » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
>However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not see
>it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have two
>installs.

>1. what is the best way to install such programs and
>2. what should I do about the duplication?

Most apps are indeed installed by the root user. But each normal user will
have various configurations settings and things.

For StarOffice (at least on my setup) you can have one large main install
put in place by the root user. Each normal user then runs soffice which
brings up a small config/registration program, choose Workstation
Installation and a few files are copied over to that user's home dir.
StarOffice is only installed the once; by root. StarOffice sets up a work
dir for each user, that's all.

PJF

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Matthew Hal » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 15 May 2000 10:57:54 -0400,

Quote:>Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
>However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not see
>it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have two
>installs.

If you install Star Office as root with the command 'setup /net' it will
install a local copy and for each user you can run 'setup' and it will copy
about 3 MB of files to the user's home directory so they can use it.

Quote:>1. what is the best way to install such programs and

Most programs require you to be root to install them.
If the program need to be compiled first, you can do that as a regular user
then 'su' for the 'Make install'.

Quote:>2. what should I do about the duplication?

As root run the SOffice setup program and de-install it. As the user you
installed it for also run setup and de-install it. Then, as root run 'setup
/net'.

--

Now showing... Linux-Mandrake 7.02

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Stev » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

>Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
>However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not see
>it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have two
>installs.

>1. what is the best way to install such programs and
>2. what should I do about the duplication?

You didn't read the instructions that's why you have this problem.

After you've done the initial install as root, log in as the normal
user and go to the directory opt/Office5.1/bin (or whatever version),
run the setup program in that directory and follow the prompts,
restart X and if you're using KDE you'll find Star Office as a personal
menu option, in Gnome set up a menu option or icon that executes
/home/your_user_name/Office51/bin/soffice

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.ndirect.co.uk/~sjlen/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:57pm  up 18 days, 17:58,  3 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.06, 1.02

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Harlan Grov » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

>I have never installed StarOffice (what's wring with
>Emacs?)

I must have missed them - where's the spreadsheet and
presentation modules for Emacs?

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Robie Bas » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 15 May 2000 15:32:38 GMT, Andreas Kahari said:

>> Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
>> However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not
>see
>> it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have
>two
>> installs.

>> 1. what is the best way to install such programs and
>> 2. what should I do about the duplication?

>> thanks
>> Frank

>I have never installed StarOffice (what's wring with Emacs?) so I can't
>answer those questions, but...

>You can install most kinds of programs as a user, but you may only
>install them in directories in which you have write access (almost
>always only under $HOME). If 10 users installs StarOffice in their
>$HOME, then you will have 10 copies of StarOffice on the drive.

>As root you have write access in all directories on the whole drive, so
>you may install a system wide copy of any program (usually in the
>"/usr/local/" hierarchy if the program is not part of the standard
>distribution). If you install a system wide copy of StarOffice then all
>users may use it and you won't need one installation per user (please
>note that I don't know if this is how StarOffice installs are suppose to
>be done, but it sounds resonable).

In theory. I noticed StarOffice installs some stuff into ~ on first
run (after asking some questions). Except, IIRC, that was > 2 MB!

It's too bloated, along with Netscape and Adobe Acrobat Reader. I gave
up on it.

Robie.
--

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Sylvain Loubouti » Tue, 16 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Its my understanding that most things are to be installed as "root."
>However, I installed StarOffice as root and my user account could not see
>it.  I then installed as the user and while I could see it, I now have two
>installs.
>1. what is the best way to install such programs and
>2. what should I do about the duplication?

if I may:  it's all written in the doc that comes in the CD (if
I remember correctly,  it's in the linux/documentation directory,
where you'll find three pdf files,  one of them call install something)

now,  the way I found out of course, is after a few trials and errors
doing exactly what you did :-)

in short:  as root,  run do:  install /net  (using the script on the CD)

then,  for each user account,  go into whatever directory where you have
installed StarOffice in the previous step,  and execute:  install
(not the script on the CD);

it will install some local stuff for each user (not the whole thing mind you)

et voila :-)

--Sylvain

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Andreas Kahar » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

> >I have never installed StarOffice (what's wring with
> >Emacs?)

> I must have missed them - where's the spreadsheet and
> presentation modules for Emacs?

Here's the spreadsheet (and a load of other stuff too):
<URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/~stephen/emacs/ell.html>

To make a presentation for my programming classes I always use Emacs to
edit*files...

In StarOffice there isn't even a built in web browser or programming
language or email reader or news reader or... or C mode (!) or C++ mode
or SGML mode...

/A

--
# Andreas K?h?ri, <URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/;.
# All junk email is reported to the appropriate authorities.

Before you buy.

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by J Bla » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I must have missed them - where's the spreadsheet and
>> presentation modules for Emacs?

>Here's the spreadsheet (and a load of other stuff too):
><URL:http://www.veryComputer.com/~stephen/emacs/ell.html>

>To make a presentation for my programming classes I always use Emacs to
>edit*files...

I use Nedit (or joe) to write*for things (or use LyX). It uses way less
resources. It edits text; I like that in a text editor.

Quote:>In StarOffice there isn't even a built in web browser or programming

Yes, there is a web browser and yes there is email (as well as other
things you'd expect an office suite to include).

Quote:>language or email reader or news reader or... or C mode (!) or C++ mode
>or SGML mode...

Why in the name of bluearsed munkis would I use an office suite to write
code in, and why would I use a text editor as emailer, web browser,
spreadsheet, blah blah blah.

Emacs must be the closest "UNIX" ever got to the idiotic "Everything in One
Package" ideal touted by less clueful OSes. Lots of small, interoperable
applications is the True Way, not one great lump of hybridised bits and bobs
addons and boltons etc. StarOffice suffers from this too, but at least
sticks to the things you'd expect.

PJF

(and yes, I do occassionally use Emacs...as a text editor. Go figure. I also
ocassionally use StarOffice, but only to read/write Word docs. Apart from
that it stinks ;0)

Install "root" vs "user"?

Post by Andreas Kahar » Wed, 17 May 2000 04:00:00

[cut lotsa dumb stuff]
Quote:> >language or email reader or news reader or... or C mode (!) or C++
mode
> >or SGML mode...

> Why in the name of bluearsed munkis would I use an office suite to
write
> code in, and why would I use a text editor as emailer, web browser,
> spreadsheet, blah blah blah.

[cut]

As long as everyone gets his/her work done one may use whatever tools
one finds. I completely agree with you on that last "blah blah blah"
part ;-)

/A