What HOWTO helps me to install NT and Red-Hat 5.2 on a Win98 system

Post by Mark Robinso » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have a plan to let my dell XPS R400 becomes a multi-os.  It came with
> Windows98 installed.
> After i resize the partition with Partition Magic, What should I do next? {
> I learnt from this newsgroup
> somebody made a mistake on LILO and blew his NT.  }

> I wish I could avoid any unrecoverable mistake.  So, give me some advises or
> address of faq article.

> Thank you very much,

> RG

>    -**** Posted from remarQ, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
> http://www.remarq.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

Step 1: Make 2 bootdisks and backup all data
Step 2: get all install media(98 + Linux)
Step 3: Use PM and make a partition(whatever size) and leave it unformated
Step 4: Reboot using a boot disk
Step 5: run dosutils/autoboot.bat on the CD
Step 6: Fallow install steps, use Disk druid
Step 7: Remember that partition you made?  Delete it using DD and create 2 new
ones, one swap the other for data (you should have several for data actually)
Step 8: When it asks if you want to format the drives you just made, say yes.
Contact me with other questions

What HOWTO helps me to install NT and Red-Hat 5.2 on a Win98 system

Post by Mark Swop » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

It's either the OS/2 boot loader How-to or mini How-to.
I've got NT, Slackware and Win 98 on my laptop.  Since
you're using Partition Magic, I'd suggest using the
partition magic boot manager and saving yourself a LOT
of trouble.
Two things two watch for -
1) DOS has some problem with your partitions remaining
in the order that they were created.  I don't know the ins and
outs of this, but it screwed up my install the first time when I
intentionally deleted my swap partition, moved my others, then
recreated my swap partition at the end.  These were all logical
partitions in an extended partition.
2) You'll have to create logical partitions to fit everything, I
think.  The How-to tells you the reasons for this and it works...

As I said, I have all three on  a laptop and it works great!
mas

>Hi,

>I have a plan to let my dell XPS R400 becomes a multi-os.  It came with
>Windows98 installed.
>After i resize the partition with Partition Magic, What should I do next? {
>I learnt from this newsgroup
>somebody made a mistake on LILO and blew his NT.  }

>I wish I could avoid any unrecoverable mistake.  So, give me some advises
or
>address of faq article.

>Thank you very much,

>RG

>   -**** Posted from remarQ, Discussions Start Here(tm) ****-
>http://www.remarq.com/ - Host to the the World's Discussions & Usenet

1. Red Hat 5.2 Loadlin HOWTO (WAS: Can't install LILO from RH 5.2)

: Everything else seems to go well, until the very last step. I just cannot
: get LILO to install properly. It gives me an error message and lets me keep
: retying, but to no avail.

First, make sure to fix your MBR which can normally be done with DOS Fdisk
and "fdisk /mbr".

Welcome to the Bad BIOS Club! There is a solution. Install again, but this
time, make a small DOS partition that is the primary and is bootable.
Partition the rest to taste for Linux. Install normally until the LILO
part. When you get to that part, make the LILO floppy, then SHUT THE
COMPUTER OFF!!!!! Note that the next time you boot after that wanton
killing of the computer, you may have a fucked up the filesystem. In any
case, Linux will run fsck to fix it if it can.

With the LILO floppy, boot. On the CD you will find DOS utilities. Get a
DOS boot floppy and put Loadlin on it with a copy of your kernel. On the
DOS boot floppy, you will need a zero-byte CONFIG.SYS, FORMAT.COM,
EDIT.COM LOADLIN.EXE, and the kernel.

Now, with this DOS boot disk, slip it into the floppy drive and boot. Upon
booting, format /s that DOS partition. Then copy the files from the DOS
boot disk onto the hard drive. Next, using the editor, make an
AUTOEXEC.BAT with this line:

loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro

Of course, for the Linux root partition, use your exact partition and to
use the filename with the kernel. The above is my standard Loadlin setup
line. Now, with this ready, hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and watch as your
Loadlin-booted Linux box comes to life!

My normal procedure for partitioning a hard drive is for the first
partition to be a primary, partition 4 is the extended and all subsequent
partitions logical drives. Using Loadlin, this has always worked. It's
most likely not critical to do it this way. Rather, it's just my habit. :)

During the install, you can opt to mount the Loadlin partition or not. I
choose to mount it on /lightoff or on dual-boot boxes as /dos. I also
habitually make one small ext2 partition to mount under /the/x/files. You
can partition to your liking, of course. :)

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
 First Law of Economics: You can't sell product to people without money.

3869387 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

2. Help - Linux network I/O problem w/dual PIII 600 processors

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. speed 28800 not supported

5. Can't boot Win98 after installing Linux Red Hat 5.2

6. proftpd-1.2.5 make error

7. Can't install Red Hat 5.2 on a Win98 PC

8. 4.2.1.0 and 4.1.x.x incompatabilities

9. Help Installing Red Hat 5.2, when installing from boot disk I get hard drive error.

10. Installing Red-Hat 5.2

11. Sound in Red-hat 5.2 ! Help PLEASE !!!

12. Red Hat 5.2 and win98 problems

13. Red Hat 5.2 <-> Win98 Peer-to-Peer