random musings

Post by Gary Rumb » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 10:11:05

On our linux machine fortune runs each time someone logs in and yesterday
this message appeared:

"Anything free is worth what you paid for it."

A disclaimer?  A warning?  Hmmm.

                                    reflect the views of MTI

random musings

Post by Christopher M. M » Sat, 04 Feb 1995 14:53:09

: On our linux machine fortune runs each time someone logs in and yesterday
: this message appeared:

: "Anything free is worth what you paid for it."

: A disclaimer?  A warning?  Hmmm.

Total an utter crap.  Anything free generally does not come with the
guarantee that the author or designer will help you with it.

This does not mean that free software has no value, but that free
products assume that the user has enough intelligence to make good
use of the product without assistance.

--

-Chris May, Computer Science, University of MA, Amherst

random musings

Post by Andrew R. Tef » Wed, 08 Feb 1995 22:35:31

>On our linux machine fortune runs each time someone logs in and yesterday
>this message appeared:

>"Anything free is worth what you paid for it."

>A disclaimer?  A warning?  Hmmm.

Perfectly valid, if you consider sweat equity :-)

If you don't put any effort into linux, you won't get anything back.
If you put some sweat into learning how to use it, how to maintain it,
keeping it up to date, then it is worth far more than the dollar cost
you paid for it (none to a little).

So someone knew more about linux than they thought when they wrote
the fortune file, which is probably nearly 20 years old :-)

--

1. Random Number generator not Random *****

Hi:

        I am using random()&01 to get a binary random
number. Turns out if I generate more than 50 numbers,
the last 30 or more are all 1s or 0s, i.e., my random
number generator is not random!

        Worse, if I generate 500 numbers, 497 are 1s.
The fraction of consistent numbers increases as the number
of trials increases.

        Any clues? Anybody got a pointer to an FAQ where
I can get a random number generator that is random?

Thanks in advance,

-Badri

2. Linux development kernel gets Bluetooth

3. Trying to generate random random numbers!

4. ftape 'no such device'

5. Help, cgi-bin script "random" will only return last url in random list.

6. CDRDAO problem

7. How random is random under Linux?

8. Weird behavior of dual-boot Tyan S1854

9. Random Characters with RANDOM

10. Mail transport musings (ramble)

11. Musing over a moved user...

12. Comdex 95 Musings