Has anyone tried Applixware Office Suite 4.4.1?

Post by Robert Lync » Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am interested in how well Applixware word processing program can
> handle (especially read/import) MS-Word97 documnents.

> Thanks,
> Ahrum

In this respect it's kinda infuriatingly marginal in my experience.  For
example, I got sent a word doc which had a long table.  For some reason
the imported version turned the right hand table border "line" into a
wide, dark border that obscured part of the text.

I had to, ugh, go over to Windoze and use the real beastie to print out
the doc.

And, forget fast-saved documents.

But, it's better than nothing.

Bob L.
--

http://www.veryComputer.com/~rm*/

Post by bb.. » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I am interested in how well Applixware word processing program can
>handle (especially read/import) MS-Word97 documnents.

i've use Applixware for quite a while (on my third Linux version now)... i
find the Word97 handling *very* disappointing... importing some docs
results in Applixware going away... the latest patches screwed up an
install on COL1.3...

there is good news, however... StarOffice 5.0 seems to handle Word97
documents quite well (i'm not so sure about other parts of StarOffice)...
in this regard, i fear that my latest Applixware *upgrade* (which
really wasn't, ticked me off, and is another issue) will be my last... it's
a shame, as i've used Applix to write at least two books...

for now, i'm moving to StarOffice 5.0

just my $0.2

billy ball

Quote:

>Thanks,
>Ahrum

Has anyone tried Applixware Office Suite 4.4.1?

Post by Rainer Krien » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>> >I am interested in how well Applixware word processing program can
>> >handle (especially read/import) MS-Word97 documnents.

>> (...)
>> there is good news, however... StarOffice 5.0 seems to handle Word97
>> documents quite well (i'm not so sure about other parts of StarOffice)...
>> in this regard, i fear that my latest Applixware *upgrade* (which
>> really wasn't, ticked me off, and is another issue) will be my last... it's
>> a shame, as i've used Applix to write at least two books...

>> for now, i'm moving to StarOffice 5.0

> Don't hold your breath - I find StarOffice quite disappointing too.
> (I posted something about this on alt.os.linux a few days ago).
> The compatibility with MS Office 97 is not really good (although
> it sounds like Applixware is even worse). StarOffice chokes on
> "fast save"'d Word documents, for instance. Bigger documents tend to
> generate "unrecoverable error"s, i.e. a crash.  Aside from stupidity,
> it's also a true piece of bloatware.

Besides the points you mentioned I think Staroffice is worse than
appliware since beeing a sysadmin I know it is a horror maintaining it,
there is no duty free support for it and even the support you pay is
not really good.

Quote:

> If I were to write a book today using Linux, I would use LaTeX.
> It takes some time to learn and to do the fine-tuning of the formatting
> towards the end, but you WILL get professional results (plus it runs

I agree. Large documents are a domain of LaTeX. For short letters or
small reports applix is quite well usable (it is fast anid quite reliable).
And finally would you ever start a book writing project in
Winword ???? I certainly would not!

Regards
Rainer Krienke

Universitaet Koblenz,              http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~krienke
Rechenzentrum,                     Voice: +49 261 287 - 1312
Rheinau 1, 56075 Koblenz, Germany  Fax:   +49 261 287 - 1355

1. Student Price for the Applixware Office Suite

Having just read the following in comp.os.linux.announce

I'm quite excited. That sure is a good price.
Before I send them my credit card #, I'd like to ask for
any oppinions on the the quality of Applix in comparison
to the Office products by certain "large and well known company".

Additionally, can Applix Words load documents that have been written
in MS Word or Wordperfect.

Thanks for any oppinions
A,
Andy Adler,          | Institut de Genie Biomedical

Unfortunately, the facts pay no attention to what we can imagine.
                             -Geza Szamosi, "The Twin Dimensions"

2. muc.lists

3. APPLIXWARE OFFICE SUITE - DOES IT WORK ON SLACKWARE???

4. Is this modssl mailing list still active?

5. Applixware Office Suite

6. WARNING: terminal is not fully function msg

7. StarOffice vs Applixware (Office Suites for Linux)

8. Restoring multiple tape backup

9. Has anyone REALLY used Applix Office Suite?

10. Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

11. Microsoft Office File-Format-Compatible Office Suite for Linux?

12. star office, office suites

13. Has anyone tried running Corel Office under FreeBSD?