smail 3.2.0.92 Red Hat 5.0 not seeing local users

smail 3.2.0.92 Red Hat 5.0 not seeing local users

Post by Jim Rosenbe » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to get smail running on a new Red Hat 5.0 Linux installation.  I
downloaded the source rpm from ftp.redhat.com for 3.2.0.92 (the binary dumped
core, alas ...) Getting it to build was a bit of an adventure -- Red Hat 5.0
doesn't seem to have an ndbm library anywhere I can find; I got it compile by
searching libraries -ldb -lresolv.  So far so good.  It seems to run fine 99%
of the time.

** BUT ** ... Roughly once a day a message will bounce.  The message is coming
in via SMTP from another host on my network for a user on the Red Hat box.
(Well, actually not a "terminal" user but a POP3 client.) I've been able to
capture several of these failing messages, and there appears to be nothing
wrong with them; they are addressed to a user on my network that appears to be
completely legitimate. (Of course I don't have a capture of the SMTP envelope
..)  It seems that just every now and then, smail is asking if a user exists
and is deciding no erroneously.  At this point I have no idea what to look
for.  Is this an smail problem?  A Red Hat library problem?  Real bummer.

Despite repeated attempts, I've never yet succeeded in making the failure
happen.  A number, but not all, of the failures are Pegasus return receipts,
meaning that it simply can't be fuddle-fingered users.  I constantly preach to
use the address book and not type E-mail addresses in the To: box; the users
in this case say they're doing that, and nothing I'm seeing from the capture
messages makes it looks otherwise.

The mail server is upgraded from a Slackware/smail installation that ran
flawlessly for 2 years; I'm going nuts.  If anyone has any suggestions I'm all
ears.

1. DEC DE203 not seen at Red Hat 5.0 installation

Hi,

I tried to install Red Hat Linux 5.0 on i486 with an ISA DE203 ethernet card
installed.  The card works when running DOS Lan manager client.  (IRQ5,
I/O:200-21F).

When install Red Hat, autoporbe didn't found anything under Etherworks 3
turbo, I tried to pass ether=5,0x200,eth0 but still can't find it.

Please help.

Steven.

2. Linux on Yosemite's

3. Red Hat 5.0 not seeing all memory!!??

4. How to set up a printer?

5. Samba - Red Hat sees Win2k but Win2k cannot see Red Hat 7.2

6. openwin setup problems

7. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

8. FAQ on networking?

9. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

10. Red Hat 5.0, /etc/ppp/ip-up.local problems

11. Hauppauge PVR-250 not being seen by Red Hat 9

12. LG CD burner GCE-8160B not being seen by Red HAt 7.1

13. Red Hat 6.2 works but not Red hat 7