I removed "update" to stop..

Post by iscar.. » Tue, 07 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I removed cron and update from my rc.* scripts so my laptop drive stops
spnning after a few idle mins.

Am I setting myself up for a disaster? it seems to be running fine now.
I'm not running X..

I removed "update" to stop..

Post by Eric Stephen Mounta » Wed, 08 Nov 1995 04:00:00

> I removed cron and update from my rc.* scripts so my laptop drive stops
> spnning after a few idle mins.

> Am I setting myself up for a disaster? it seems to be running fine now.
> I'm not running X..

I don't know about cron, but removing update seems like an inherently
bad idea: it is what takes care of flushing the buffers every so
often, so that in the even the machine crashes or gets turned off
suddenly you stand a better chance of recovering the hard disk
partitions.

If you like, you can increase the delay between updates, but be
careful: the longer the time since the last sync when the machine
crashes, teh harder it will be for fsck to recover I guess?

My 2 cents - anyone else?

Eric.
--

Dept of Computing - Imperial College of Science - London - UK

"No other formula is exactly the same."  (The Solpadeine ad as seen on TV)